thoughts for economical wood shop floor?

Old 12-15-14, 08:56 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
thoughts for economical wood shop floor?

i'm getting ready to move into a new house with a finished basement. planning to turn one of the rooms into a wood shop. the flooring is beautiful white oak stained in a walnut. its brand new. I would like to try to protect the floor so I don't trash it.

any thoughts on an inexpensive floor that I can lay down and float over the oak? I was thinking about rolling out some cork underlayment and using that as the floor? any chance that would work? or should I just resolve myself to refinishing it when i'm getting ready to sell the house in 15 to 20 years.
The room is roughly 275 square feet.
thanks for your thoughts.

Old 12-16-14, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure which would be more expensive, covering it now, or replacing it later. You can buy click together floor covering for garages or shops. They go together like a jigsaw puzzle. It will protect the flooring while giving you a softer more grippable surface to work on.
Not exact, but you get the idea Multy Home Utility Charcoal 18 in. x 18 in. Vinyl Flooring (6 pack)-MT1002294 - The Home Depot

Old 12-16-14, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would expect that anything you use to cover the hardwood would still necessitate refinishing the floor when it's removed .... but maybe only need a light sanding and fresh coat of poly.

Old 12-16-14, 04:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I use rubber squares similar to the one's Larry linked to in the half of our garage that's my wood shop and they work quite well.

Old 12-16-14, 08:50 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks. good suggestion. do you have any equipment on mobile bases? and if so, how do they work on the mats? i'd be concerned with the wheels of the mobile base sinking into the mat and not being easy to roll. The other thing that might be a concern is if the mobile base is sturdy on the softer floor? thinking of a 14" band saw on wheels?

thanks

Old 12-17-14, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
My only mobile piece is my ancient table saw, but it sits off to the side near the door and is off the matting. Mobile tools would be problematic on the matting.

Old 12-17-14, 07:06 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Just thinking out loud...
Rolling heavy machines on rubber or vinyl flooring isn't going to work. Stationary machines will sink in and be hard to move. Might be best to just cover the open areas with the interlocking pieces.

My vote would be to cover the floor with an inexpensive DIY floating wood floor.
What's everyone else's opinion on first laying down a layer of Tyvek so the original floor will be protected against stains, spills and chafing, then lay the new cover directly on top of that (skipping any foam or felt paper underlay)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: