laminate flooring help!

Old 12-24-14, 01:48 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry laminate flooring help!

Hello everybody,
Ok so I'm a decently handy guy trying to install some laminate flooring and it's turning into a nightmare. I bought some 99 cent sqft traffic master flooring expecting to blow through the 450 sqft, went to install and I'm having tons of trouble. A lot of it was damaged out of the box,some of the boxes had random pieces that aren't even the same type of flooring. The pieces that are in decent shape will not fit together well at all. I've opened 5 boxes (2 of which had wrong pieces).

So I kept going thinking I could deal with the seams not looking prefect but I can't live with it.

My question is, if I buy better quality flooring will the install be any easier? Do the pieces snap together easier? I just don't want to waste anymore money or time.

Old 12-24-14, 01:51 PM
S
It's not a level issue, even just grabbing say four random pieces and trying to put them together theseams are popping up some and clearly visible

Old 12-24-14, 02:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There is no reason why you should have to play with damaged goods. Exchange it for something else.

Old 12-24-14, 02:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Make sure that there is not any crud in the groove side of the click lock and that the tongue is not dented or damaged in anyway. There is little room for play in these types of systems. If bought at a second hand or discount type store, issues may arise due to improper handling, storage and things.

Take a few boards and practice putting them together. Lay one flat on the floor and work on the groove side. Take the second board and with the tongue leading, come in at a 45 degree angle and marry to the groove. Make sure you have contact across the whole board and slowly begin to lower the board down. Wiggle it if it gives you resistance. But it should fully engage and lay flat to the floor. If it doesn't, pull and check for flakes and crud in the groove or a nick on the tongue. Cut away that which is bad and move on.

The old adage is "you get what you paid for" applies here.

Old 12-24-14, 03:11 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
He didn't get what he paid for. He paid for a non damaged product.

Old 12-24-14, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Laminate sucks, at best, so I would highly recommend returning all the laminate to Home Depot and look into a click lock engineered flooring in at least 1/2". I asked our local HD manager why they even stocked the 99 cent stuff. He said it was for do it yourselfers,not pros. The pros don't even look at it, even for spec houses.

Old 12-25-14, 12:41 AM
S
Well I have a wild beast of a dog, thought laminate would be a good choice. Would better quality laminate be a good choice? I'm willing to dish out a little more cash but I am on a budget.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 12-25-14, 06:12 AM
Not sure any flooring is completely animal proof. That given, a more expensive laminate with a little investigative work to get warranty info on the wear of the finish may provide a better lasting floor. If the manufacturer is willing to stand by its wear level on the surface you have a better chance of success on the install.

Old 12-25-14, 07:50 AM
Man,
Laminate takes a beating here. It's not for everyone. I put laminate in my kitchen and foyer about 7 years ago and it still looks as good as the day I finished. Absolutely no bounce or mushiness like I see in some homes. The floor lays perfectly flat. I used DuPont Real Touch Elite. The kitchen is walnut and the foyer is stone looking. I would recommend this floor to anyone.

Old 12-25-14, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Brian, you are just bearing out the facts of life on laminate. Yours wasn't 99 cents. As Z says, there are quality differences. Yeah, I beat up on laminate. I have installed 12 mm and it is fine. I just don't like MDF for flooring. In addition, for a little more, you can have engineered, and can refinish it a limited number of times if you must. We frequent a pizza place which has a big gouge in the surface of the laminate. Answer, replace it all.

Old 12-25-14, 08:12 AM
Merry Christmas Chandler!

I'm with you, it's an alternative.
Another fact I'll bear out is that when I installed this floor, no matter how beautiful, I always had it in the back of my mind that if it was ever damaged or a flood occurred, I would be replacing it.
So basically I paid probably $700 - $800 for a floor that may or may not be permanent.
Since I can install it myself, I figured it was worth a shot.
Next time will be engineered though, my laminate looks good, but the engineered is a whole lot better. Really nice.

Old 12-25-14, 09:24 AM
Brian, once you tear out a bunch of perfectly good flooring because of a couple of water damaged areas, you would get a feel for why we beat up on laminate. And it is not only acts of nature, its pets, kids, heavy dropped items, etc. I have installed it, always recommend alternatives, but in the end, it is the customers choice.

Once you have installed your first engineered floor, you will fall in line with the rest of us - night and day in both looks, feel and quality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: