Problems with laminate flooring.

Old 12-30-14, 01:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problems with laminate flooring.

I had laminate flooring installed a few months ago, and the company did a very poor job of it. The flooring is buckling, I have been going from room to room and cutting the flooring 1/4" away from the walls. This ihas help some but it continues to buckle in spots, I have two rooms to finish cutting the expansion gap in. My question deals with heavy objects put on the flooring. How long after I cut the expasion gaps should I keep any heavy items off the flooring to allow it to lay down flat against the barrier? I own a very heavy queen bedroom set and a 55 gallon tank that I need to move and then put back into place. Thank you for any and all help, as no business around here will give me any insight or touch the flooring.

Old 12-30-14, 03:43 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unlikely it's going to level back out on it's own without some help.
Sure 1/4" is going to be enough?
Once it's leveled it's going to take up more room.
I'd be using a dead blow hammer across the face of the flooring with light taps to try and get it to work back into grooves.
What was under the flooring?
Was it allowed to acclimate before installing.
Any moisture test done before installing?

Old 12-30-14, 04:11 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It may be still tight in areas that are tough to get to, like under the doorways. BTW, did they install thresholds at the doorways? Buckling can be an issue with laminate when the run is too long. Your specific brand will call out in the installation instructions the maximum run between thresholds. If needed, add some expansion at these areas also with some T-molding.

Old 12-30-14, 05:30 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It was installed in my mobile home. The sub floor is OSB the laminate was allowed to aclimate for 7 days and yes a moisture test was conducted. It is just expanded and is hitting the walls in some spots. I am more concerned with putting the fish tank and bedroom stuff back in after I get done trimming the expansion gap.

Old 12-30-14, 08:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Not supposed to put heavy stuff (55 gallon tank full would be approaching 500 pounds) on laminate, as it keeps it from being able to move, which leads to buckling and gaps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: