Can I buff refinished hardwood by hand between poly coats?

Old 01-08-15, 04:11 PM
Can I buff refinished hardwood by hand between poly coats?

Hello all,

Doing a remodel on a home, including refinishing the hardwood floors. Had a professional drum sand and edge sand everything and then stained the floors. I applied the first coat of poly with a lambs wool aplicator. I almost wouldn't worry about buffing between the first and second coats as 95% of the floor looks great, however there is a small area that has small bubbles or possibly some dust/dirt that needs to be addressed before second coat.
I know I can rent a buffer and everything, but just trying to save a little money not doing so, as we are way over budget on this. Is there anyway I can buff out the floors by hand to correct the problem area before applying second coat? I was thinking of using brass wool, or maybe just getting a screen and using it by hand? Thank you-

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should always sand [or screen] between coats of poly! That promotes better adhesion along with removing any 'bad' spots in the previous coat. If I didn't want to rent a buffer, I'd use an orbiter sander but if you want to hand sand that will work, just be sure to sand with the direction of the grain.

Old 01-09-15, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, 220 grit scuff sand between coats, not buffing - you want a rough surface so the new coat of poly has nooks and crannies into which it can flow, as this is what creates the mechanical bond between the coats to prevent peeling.

Old 01-09-15, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just to clarify, you can use a sanding pad or screen on a buffer to do the sanding between coats.
Don't forget after any type of sanding to remove all of the sanding dust before applying the next coat of poly!

Old 01-14-15, 12:24 AM
Ok, after some input on various forums it seems the best way to go is just to rent a buffer. This is for the floor of the main living space, so I do want it to come out fairly nice. I do have some follow up questions:

1. What grit of screen should I use on this first coat? And should I do multiple passes, graduating to finer grits as I go?

2. How long will the screens last? The sq. footage that I am performing this on is roughly 1000 sq. ft. If I do indeed need multiple grits, will one of each grit last me the entire job?

3. Is there an actual buffing process that you can perform after the final coat?

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-14-15, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
#1 - I don't sand a lot of floors and I'm not sure what screen grit works best [the rental store should know] Normally you progress to finer grit as you go along. The 1st coat of poly will require more sanding than the 2nd.

#2 - It really depends on how rough the floor is. Screens do tend to last longer than sandpaper.

#3 - After the final coat is dry and cured you can wax/buff the floor if you desire.