Help!Water-damaged Pergo

Old 03-24-01, 11:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Help!Woke up to 2" of rainwater soaking my Pergo covered family room and hallways. What to do now? Is the floor ruined? How best to dry it out? We have huge fans placed to try to dry. Is that enough? What should I be looking for in terms of damage?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-01, 08:25 AM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Cool

Get the water off the floor, dry it as quickly as possible with a mop and then towels or other absorbent material. The quicker you get your floor dry the less risk you have of damage. You may have none! is the floor glue down or glueless Pergo Presto? If you can (the rain stopped) open windows and doors, depending on climate. If you will have temperatures above 65F that will help. Wait 2 -3 days and examine the floor. The good news can be either no damage or your homeowners insurance will cover replacement. Laminate flooring can take a fair amount of water for a short time. The "planks" are usually about 7% moist, all the time. If they are subject to additional moisture that increases the moisture content to 13 or 14 %, (sic) the planks will swell. Water starts at the edges and absorbs inward so the joints will show evidence of damage first. Good Luck

Old 03-27-01, 11:27 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the e mail. I still do not know if your floor is glue down or Presto clic. If it is gluedown how old is it? Immediate removal of a few planks will help eliminate the mold that concerns you and that will be easier if you have glueless. The older Pergo is more porus than newer product.

Old 03-28-01, 11:00 PM
Visiting Guest
water-damaged pergo

Thanks for your reply. I don't know how old the floor is as I've just moved in 3 weeks ago. It must be glue down because I can see glue at the joints. I know the design is called Manhattan Inlay because I just saw it at Home Depot.I don't know how long this design has been produced or maybe I could get an idea of the age. There is a section which is exposed where I just removed a built-in shelf unit. I suppose I could open it up and take a look. I'm hoping mold won't be a problem. We managed to get the water up very quickly ( within 45 minutes). The floor is beginning buckle a bit more at the joints so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-29-01, 10:27 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
You did well to get the excess water up quickly. You may have "peaking" and not a buckel. Keep working on getting totally dry until after the weekend. You may save this one. Or at least limit the damage. With Home Depot still in stock on the pattern a small amount may be replaced where the worst damage exisits. Keep kewl 'till Monday and let's see where we stand. This incident confirms the fact that glue is not really superior to glueless when it come to moisture problems. Water effects both types when introduced in excess. Good Luck

Old 03-30-01, 07:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I hope you're right. I think peaking is a more accurate description of the problem at this point. How hard will it be to replace just certain areas? Will I need to remove a large area, say the hallway , or can i just fix small pieces? I don't even know how it is supplied. I'm trying to stay calm and will see what happens over the weekend!

Old 04-03-01, 09:54 PM
Visiting Guest
O.K. , it's been a week and a half , and I guess the damage that will be done has been done. The pergo is definitely "peaking" at some joints which took on the most water. Do I replace just those pieces ,is that possible , or maybe several rugs might be a good idea! I read a post you answered concerning pergo in a bathroom. I was a bit worried about "germs" and "unpleasant odor". Might I have the same problem? How would I know if "anything" was growing under the floors? How long would it take for them to completely dry out? Thanks

Old 04-03-01, 10:50 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Well, this is not what I wanted to hear, for your sake. I have changed computers since this thread started and lost your e mail address but I seem to recall that you are located in Texas. At 5PM this evening at 76 the humidity was 78% in Dallas, I'm sure Houston is much higher. Are you pretty sure you have dried out? The Pergo installers have found that on occasion peaking exists up to 2 or 3 weeks after an install, you may want to wait a little longer. If not.... Yes you can replace a few or random planks. errrrr A pro can, it takes a special router bit for glue type flooring. You could hide the problem with rugs as you suggest, but at some point you will have to replace the damaged planks. If not sooner, you will when you sell the house. It would be best to purchase the planks while they are still available. For color matching (fading)it's best have the entire floor exposed to daylight for the same period of time. I would suggest that you have a Certified Pergo Installer check out the damage and estimate the extent of damage and the cost to repair the damage. You may get the name of such an installer from the Home Depot Store. Bottom Line... Lets make certain of the damages and the repair probabilities, then the cost to repair and then proceed as your budget allows. As for the creepies and the crawlies that you refer to, there is a possibility but I doubt it. The problem in a bathroom is the risk of continual additional water. Bath tubs often run over, wet bodies drip, winter steam clouds, and men often miss ;-o Each of these things replenish moisture. Other rooms should dry out at some point. When you remove a plank or two, and I expect you will, you can determine the extent of trapped moisture and how well the drying is occuring. The drying formula for concrete is long and depends on thickness. Concrete almost never drys completely. For newly poured concrete it takes a week per inch up to 1.4" and 2 weeks per inch for thicker slabs. Your slab is not new and was already partially dry.

Old 04-04-01, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the update. I live in Plano. You must be close by. It's horribly humid today and has been so I guess I will wait a bit longer. I think I may buy a few planks while I know they are available. I will go with rugs for now.We just bought this house and won't be moving for a while !I think you're right about having a professional take a look. I feel a bit better about " what lies beneath".With all this hysteria about the black mold around here that is the last thing I need.This house purchase has been a nightmare so I'm just dealing with everything one day at a time. I'll let you know what happens.