Where to buy unfinished hardwood

Old 02-03-15, 06:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to buy unfinished hardwood

Anybody know where to buy good quality unfinished hardwood? I am redoing my soon to be baby room and I am going to lay down new hardwood. I am looking to get between a 4-5" wide plank. I really do not care for the homedepot/lowes hardwood.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-15, 06:43 PM
J
I recently bought unfinished hickory stair treads and 3/4 hardwood for a landing area from Baird Brothers (google them), and highly recommend. They have reasonable prices, although shipping will bump up the per sq ft cost. They have all common species and some uncommon.

Old 02-04-15, 03:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Curious. Why do you want unfinished hardwood? You will need to negative atmosphere the room while sanding, then polyurethane several coats, praying it doesn't pick up lint, etc. Time taken that could be better spend setting up the furniture, IMO. Today's prefinished hardwoods have up to 50 year wear through warranties, making habitation only minutes away from the last piece of trim installed. The aluminum oxide finish is rock hard. Not sure what your objection is to the hardwoods you have looked at. I have installed many square feet of hardwood flooring, some in 5" handscraped maple, which I really felt good about. Customers still like it after 5 years.

Old 02-04-15, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
While I think site finished hardwood looks a little nicer it makes a lot more sense to use prefinished flooring in an occupied home. As Larry said, there is a LOT of dust when the floor is sanded along with the drying time [and fumes] needed for each coat of finish .... and the factory finish does wear better/longer than any site applied finish.

Old 02-04-15, 03:53 AM
J
I am not opposed to prefinished hardwood I was originally only going to go with prefinished but after seeing what my crap options were at homedepot I though unfinished might be better.

Has anybody heard of hurst hardwood? Are they any good?

Old 02-04-15, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Nothing other than they are in Florida. Check others like Lumber Liquidators, yet? You can google prefinished hardwoods and spend a day going through the list of distributors. Remember, it isn't the store that sells it to you, but the brand and quality you buy, no matter where it comes from.

Old 02-04-15, 07:50 AM
M
Hi, I looked around a lot when looking for hardwood flooring. It's always nice to be able to physically check out what you are buying, thus the single major drawback in my opinion to ordering your wood from out of town.

If you have a Menards, I think they have a few decent hardwood options.
Additionally, the bigbox stores have stuff online that you can special order.
This might sound like a pain, but HomeDepot for instance lets you ship anything to the store for free. This way, you could sample without the risk of losing money as you would just return it if it wasn't up to par.

If you're deadset on going online I recommend looking at reallycheapfloors.com
They're cheaper than lumber liquidators, even when considering shipping.