Slate tile floor & engineered wood floor

Old 02-18-15, 07:41 PM
Slate tile floor & engineered wood floor

I want to lay slate floor around the perimeter of my living room then lay an engineered floor in the
center of the room. The wood area will be approx 10' x 12'. It will be a floating floor on a radiant heat conc. slab.

I then want to grout between the wood floor and the slate.

I really didn't want to use transition strips between the two floors because of the uneveness of the slate and I didn't
want the picture frame look that would have.

Would a wood floor expand and contract to much and crack the grout or buckle the floor?

If so any other ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You cannot do what you propose. To start, I would not put a heat source under a floating wood floor. Wood is a poor conductor of heat and temperature changes will make the floor move more that usual. Floating floors also need room to expand and contract. The only way you could picture frame is to have a transition strip as the frame that the floor can expand and contract under. The floor needs to be free to move and can not be nailed down. Grout would last maybe a day.

Old 02-19-15, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you considered laying your inset with the woodgrained tile? It is almost indistinguishable from wood until you get right on top of it. Example: MS International Sonoma Oak 6 in. x 24 in. Glazed Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (14 sq. ft. / case)-NSONOAK6X24 - The Home Depot