What to do with commercial carpet?

Old 03-02-15, 08:13 AM
What to do with commercial carpet?

I own a tanning salon, about 2000 sqft. It has very old (12+years) glued-down carpet with cement floors underneath. I just realized that they put the walls over the carpet. After a lot of research (before realizing this) I wanted to rip out the carpet and stain the cement. I thought this would be the most cost effective way, but now this changes things. I need ideas of how to do this the cheapest and quickest. We are open 7 days a week so I plan to do this in sections. Closing for one day is not an option. I have 5 rooms, a 20ft hallway and 2 common areas.
I am open to ANY creative ideas. I definitely don't want carpet again, because it wears so easily. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-15, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
Suggestions for what? How to remove the carpet? How to get the adhesive off the concrete? How to polish and prep the concrete for staining?

First things first. Cut around the perimeter with a sharp knife so the carpet can come up. Try pulling it up. If it comes easy you are in luck. Often it's difficult and a helper can scrape on the bottom side with a hoe or tile scraper and even better is to rent a powered scraper.

Old 03-02-15, 10:15 AM
I would like suggestions on the best flooring solution. Can I leave the carpet and put a floating wood/laminate floor? Or do I need to rip up the carpet regardless of what i do? And is staining the cement the best idea for my situation? As far as drying time and fumes? Or what would other people do in this situation?

Old 03-02-15, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
The carpet has to go. Period!

Removing the carpet will likely leave behind glue and carpet bits on the concrete and you have no idea what the concrete looks like so I'd say staining it is risky until you know what you've got. Staining would also require removing all the glue and very thoroughly cleaning the floor which is no small job. Then there is the prep and multiple finishing steps required for staining so I'd list it as one of the most difficult and time consuming finishes.

Easiest would be to clean up the floor reasonably well and install new carpet but carpet is not the best with tanning lotions and oils being spilled. Glued down VCT tile would require the floor to be scraped pretty smooth as would a glue down vinyl strip flooring. Both would go down reasonably fast but there would be some odor from the glue. A floating, click together laminate flooring would probably be easiest to do in sections and without fumes or drying time to worry about but the quality of the product will have a influence on the outcome. There are also click together squares as opposed to planks or strips and even some with real porcelain or ceramic tile.

Old 03-02-15, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1 No way are you going to be able to remove glued down carpet and paint or stain that floor.
Depending on the nap of that carpet and how many "worn" spots there are, some laminate floors can be laid over it. Going to have to consult the manufacture on that one.
I would not do it.
7 days a week or not the right way would be to shut down a few days, hire it out to a real flooring company and get the whole thing done.
My concern would be any transitions left while trying to do this piece meal and having some cults trip and suing you, plus the impressions left in there mind that the site is under construction.
Something as simple as giving them one free tanning for the inconveance would go a long way.

Old 03-02-15, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the staining concrete option is best left for new concrete, too many variables with old concrete, especially if adhesive has been previously spread across it.

As Joe said, getting everything lined up and then shutting down for a couple of days to get the new flooring done is best! Shouldn't be an issue for employees or customers as long as there is advance notice.

Old 03-02-15, 02:32 PM
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate your time and advice. I agree, I won't know until I pull up the carpet. At least i have a better insight of what to expect. Thank you!

Old 03-02-15, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another vote for no staining of concrete after glue down carpet. There is no way you will be able to get all the glue off. If this is not the original carpet and it has been changed out in the past, it will be even worse. Laminate can not be put over carpet as there would be too much vertical movement and will stress the joints. Glue down vinyl or a floating engineered would be perfect. Make some calls and I'm sure you can find someone who will install after hours or set up temp walls while under construction. They do it at the malls all the time.