Old home hardwoods directly onto joists

Old 03-03-15, 02:29 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old home hardwoods directly onto joists

I have a 125 year old house in mo and found on the third floor there is 1 inch thick x 3 and 1/4 tongue and groove (oak???) under the carpet that I removed in one room. I assume this runs throughout the third floor under the carpet. The floor runs the opposite way as the joists and is nailed directly into the joists with old square head long nails. I have to replace a couple broken boards but otherwise the flooring would look good after a sanding.

Since its on the third floor and I don't have the moisture or temp issues, am I ok with refinishing it or could it just be an old subfloor?j

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-15, 02:32 AM
M
Floorboard

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  31.6 KB image of flooring xxxxxxxxxxxxxcxcxxccccccc

Old 03-03-15, 02:35 AM
M
Floorboard

Attachment 47436 image of flooring xxxxxxxxxxxxxcxcxxcccccccName:  image.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  26.4 KB

Old 03-03-15, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's probably the sub floor. A friend of mine had an old house that had an oak sub floor with oak flooring on top of it. They had a heck of time cutting thru it when the HVAC system was installed.

While it might be feasible to finish the sub floor, how do you intend to replace the bad boards? not sure where you would buy T&G boards of that dimension. You might also find that the boards aren't as tight as you'd like for a finish floor. You'll know more after the carpet is removed.

Old 03-03-15, 04:06 AM
M
Update

Carpet removed. There are a couple of spots with a 1/8 of inch or so spacers between slats. I planned on trying some salvage places for the replacements. I would hate to cover up such nice looking wood if I could avoid it. Anything that could be put in the spaces between the boards prior to sanding? The website seems like a great reaource!

Old 03-03-15, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
There are a couple of spots with a 1/8 of inch or so spacers between slats.
Do you mean 1/8" gap or actual spacers between some boards? if the latter, what are the spacers made of? There are oak fillers that can be used to fill gaps although 1/8" with no backing behind it would be marginal at best.

Old 03-03-15, 04:23 AM
M
Photos

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  42.0 KB let me know what you think. I would hate too cover it up if it would work but don't want to waste my time if it's not a good idea. I have a small concern that it will make it much colder in the house by removing all of the carpet also.

Old 03-03-15, 04:27 AM
M
Sorry I meant space or gaps between boards not spacers

Old 03-03-15, 04:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
My concerns are similar to Marksr's in that finding matching wood would be problematic. The floor will probably sand down nicely, but your repairs may show up pretty radically, since you won't be finding 125 year old wood to make the replacement with. Of course the new boards will have to be face nailed and the tongues and/or grooves modified to make installation easier.

Nice modification on the saw cord, too Just for safety's sake replace it.

Old 03-03-15, 05:19 AM
M
Carpet wins

Hahaha. You got me on the saw. 😁. I'll replace it and am going to cave for carpeting. I appreciate the comments and advise!