Laminate flooring and inlaid carpet

Old 03-27-01, 07:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I'm in the process of remodeling an older home that was built in 1918. In the hallway, living room and dining room, the floors are pine. What I would like to do, is install plywood as my subfloor (over the pine). Then I would like to use a laminate flooring such as Pergo (only around the perimeter of the rooms), and then inlay carpeting as opposed to wall to wall carpeting. Can this be done with laminates or would I have to go to the traditional oak tongue and groove slats that are nailed? Also, how would I butt the carpeting up against the laminate so the carpeting and also the laminate would stay secure? Would I use threshold or molding? I will be undertaking this project as soon as I'm finished installing the fiberglass sheeting over the plaster walls in the hallway (approximately 1 - 1 1/2 month from now).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-01, 03:13 AM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Question

Though I have never done a laminate border with a carpet inset, I would have to suggest in glueing the laminate to the subfloor in order for it to stay in place. Considering the minimal thickness of the laminate I would suspect the carpet would fray from the edges of the laminate in due time. The use of "end caps" will reduce the seperation from the laminate and carpet. Perhaps a carpet installer that visits these boards could better assist. Personally, I'd go with solid flooring.

Old 03-28-01, 09:19 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I have a strong belief in Laminates and at the same time I recognize their limitations. Ken is correct as far as I'm concerned. I don't think this the place for a laminate floor. You can get a clic assembly in a natural hardwood if that is what you would like but I would nail or glue the wood perimeter in place. The effect you have in mind would be a problem for laminates for several reasons...