Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Help please! Trouble refinishing old wood floors. Can't get down to bare wood.?

Help please! Trouble refinishing old wood floors. Can't get down to bare wood.?

Old 04-20-15, 02:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help please! Trouble refinishing old wood floors. Can't get down to bare wood.?

Hi All,

I'm hoping you'll have some advice for me! I posted this in Woodworking too since I wasn't 100% sure where it went. I hope that's okay - we're in a huge hurry and any advice is appreciated!

My husband and I purchased a 90 year old home and are refinishing the floors ourselves on a very tight budget. The floors were very thin already so we were not able to use a drum sander on them so we used a floor orbital sander.

It worked okay at best. The floors were too uneven that the sander couldn't reach everywhere. So there are a lot of spots that are still "shiny" and smooth and have the top coat on it. Obviously these areas will not take stain. We tried a palm sander to no avail and using stripper + a putty knife does not seem to get it deep enough to bare wood that it will take stain either.

Would a random orbital sander (handheld) be better? We tried a regular palm sheet sander and that didn't work. Any advice?? Anyone know of any magic stain that will stain through old top coats lol?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-15, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Lets keep the one in flooring. I'll ask the moderator to do away with the other one. It only confuses things when there are two or more open. Would it be possible for you to upload a few pictures of what you have and what you have done so far? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 04-21-15, 03:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If the wood is too thin to use a drum sander it sounds like it's too thin to give it the sanding it needs in order to be refinished All sanders basically work the same, some are just faster than others.

Stain must have bare clean wood to be applied to! If any paint is left on the wood it will be visible when stain/poly is applied over it. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: