underlayment for laminate floors

Old 04-21-15, 05:59 PM
underlayment for laminate floors

I purchased laminate flooring with attached padding and do not like how thin it is.I was told by lowes that I could also use the blue hawk premium underlayment with moisture barrier .I also purchased this.Not cheap! Now others are saying I should not use if laminate already has pad attached .Really liked this flooring.Couldn't find anything I liked without the attached pad.I like the blue hawk premium.I think it would work well.Just don't know if it would cause problems with both Underlayment.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-15, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can't go too thick on the padding on laminate. Lots of padding mean lots of movement which mean not good for you floor. Stick with the original laminate with attached padding. It is the manufacturer recommendation. And do not ask sales people at lowes technical questions about flooring. Come here and ask professionals.

Old 04-21-15, 06:17 PM
I would rather use the qood quality underlayment.Is it possible to remove the padding off the laminate?I have samples and it comes off easy.

Old 04-21-15, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Holy Christmas, you want to strip the factory padding from you flooring? Hope you have lots of time and plenty of patience. In the end, you will not be able to tell the difference other than the time lost in pursuit of your "perceived" excellence.

Old 04-21-15, 06:29 PM
No,lol.Just want good underlayment.

Old 04-21-15, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Frac, if you like the floor, go with it. Don't fall prey to a gimmick trying to sell you additional padding that is "superior". The underlayment enhances to flooring. Not the other way around. While I don't necessarily agree with the manufacturer supplied padding, in this case, they state their reputation on it. I'd go with that and hold them to the fire should it not perform to standards. Removing the backing will forever void any implied or otherwise stated warranty.