Parquet... had to be removed.

Old 04-23-15, 07:22 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Parquet... had to be removed.

Hi everyone,

I recently remove the parquet flooring in my house for two reasons.

First, didn't like it and wanted to place some pre-engineered or hardwood down.

Second, the floor was very squeaky in spots.

Removing the floor took time and the clean up was a party in itself. My questions are the plywood subfloor in spots is a little beat up(when removing the parquet a bit of the plywood was torn up with it), in some spots there is adhesive sticking to the subfloor and there in other there are fragments of parquet still holding on for dear life.

What is the best course of action at this point to remove any remaining pieces, patch up or fix the floor so that I can get it read to lay my new hardwood/pre-engineered and tile in some spots? Does it make sense to remove a piece of subfloor and put a new one if the floor is really bad?

Also, to eliminate the squeaking should I just go through it and screw the subfloor into my joists every X inches?

Thanks,

Last edited by Eagle710B; 04-23-15 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I know you had flooring installed, but what is the thickness of your subflooring? You may be able to tell by lifting a floor vent and measuring. As far as the residual glue and wood, and depending on how extensive it is, a belt sander may help remove it, or a floor sander may need to be called into action. You may want to post a couple of pictures so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

If the thickness warrants no further subflooring underlayment, then screwing the existing subflooring directly to the joists every 8" or so, using decking screws would be best. If another layer is recommended, then that layer will not be glued, nor will it be screwed to the joists. It will be screwed only to the field of the first layer of subflooring. Then your hardwood can be laid.

I recommend full 3/4" or 5/8" hardwood, fastened with cleats. Engineered flooring in click lock would be my second choice. You didn't mention laminate, and I thank you for that

Old 04-24-15, 03:22 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
tile in some spots
Tile requires a whole different approach to your subfloor and joists system needs. May be best to start a new thread separate from the hardwood in the tile forum to get additional information from experts in the field. The information they will be looking for is as follows. Size of floor joists, spacing, total unsupported span (length between support piers/walls) and the type and thickness of the plywood on top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: