Repairing light scratches in hardwood floor?

Old 05-18-15, 08:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing light scratches in hardwood floor?

Hi all, I was hoping I could get some advice on how to fix some very light scratches in my hardwood floors (as seen in the pics). It looks like it's just the outer protective layer and it's not very deep at all. I was hoping there was a simple way to fix this but not sure where to start....should I use the wood markers to hide it or something like wearmax scratch repair touch up (they sell it on amazon)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Imgur

Not sure what type of wood it is but the finish is satin.

I've heard of suggestions ranging from wood markers to rubbing a walnut on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-15, 08:34 AM
Welcome!

Those scratches aren't deep at all. The wood is Oak, probably quarter sawn.

I recommend you get a pint of Golden Oak stain and apply it very sparingly with a cotton swab.
Test first in an inconspicuous area to see if you need to thin it.

A stain pen will work, but you need to be careful not to use it on scratches that go down into the wood. The deep scratches will absorb the stain more, highlighting the scratch rather than hiding it.

Old 05-18-15, 09:51 AM
D
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought it was oak but wasn't sure.

My fear with the staining is that it will look off from the rest of the satin finish on my floors. Is htere a specific stain you would recommend for this floor/finish?

Do you recommend a specific stain pen for this finish?

None of these scratches came close to scratching the actual wood so not worried about any other damage but thanks for giving me a heads up on it. I'm sure at some point i'll get a real scratch.....knowing me i'd end up making it worse.

Also, what abut rubbing a walnut on it? I'm hearing that's another easy fix for hiding this....shocking as it may seem.

If these sound like dumb questions don't be surprised. I'm not all that handy yet (new homeowner).

Old 05-18-15, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
When touching up scratches with stain it's generally best to use a lighter stain as the scratch will absorb more stain than normal. You don't have to be all that neat applying the stain but you do need to remove all the excess - what doesn't go in the scratch itself.

No deeper than the scratch is have you tried buffing it out with wax? any/all wax would need to be removed prior to adding stain!

Old 05-18-15, 11:30 AM
D
Handyone recommended Golden Oak stain with a cotton swab. I'm just concerned with that section obviously.

I haven't tried wax.

Have you ever heard of the walnut method? Rubbing a walnut on the scratch seems to help fix the issue....apparently the oils in the walnut penetrate the wood and make the scratch appear to disappear.

Old 05-18-15, 11:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never heard of that but there is no shortage of homemade remedies, some of which do work.

Old 05-18-15, 12:28 PM
I haven't heard of the walnut method either, but wouldn't be surprised if it works.
Basically, the walnut would serve as both a filler and burnishing tool.
I work professionally on cabinets and the touch-up kits come with four items:
- filler stick
- burnishing tool
- stain pen
- small bottle of clear coat (have never used it)

Between one or all of the above, you should be able to make scratch disappear. Also, as Mark said, the old fashioned paste wax works wonders.

Old 05-18-15, 02:45 PM
D
I'm gonna try the walnut method first since it's the cheapest.

If I were to go the paste wax route which brand would you recommend and/or how should I go about applying it?

On the touch up kit front, any you recommend specifically for my issue?

Old 05-18-15, 02:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm partial to Johnson's Paste Wax. I'd be surprised if it takes more than moderate effort to hide the scratches.

Old 05-18-15, 02:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The walnut trick works in many instances. Not sure if it will work on your floor since the scratch isn't to the wood. The basis of the walnut trick is that rubbing the walnut meat on the scratch on a piece of furniture for instance, will bleed the dyes of the stain adjacent to the scratch inward and will swell the wood enough to make the scratch disappear. It works great on light furniture scratches, but you will have to be our test outlet for floors.

Marksr may have different advice, but Minwax makes a polish/wax, but I don't think it will be in the wood or paint section. Probably in household cleaners.

See what happens when you type too slowly So Johnson's it is.

Old 05-18-15, 02:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't realize that MInwax had a polish/wax. I would think any floor paste wax would work, not sure about the liquid waxes.

Old 05-18-15, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Here ya go!...........................................Minwax 1 lbs. Paste Finishing Wax-785004444 - The Home Depot