chipped edges of hardwood

Old 05-18-15, 09:14 AM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
chipped edges of hardwood

We opened up a doors betwen our kitchen and didning area. The dining area has had solid oak strip flooring. The kitchen flooring was torn up and replaced with tile over a mud bed. Because the doorway was widened, there was an area where the wood flooring was short of the kitchen floor by about 5-6 inches. The cross cut the dining room floor back to the wall depth and tiled up to it. All good so far. The problem is that they did a lousy job of cuting the wood which left several chips at the ends of the wood strips. Contractor tried to use some wood crayons (the type they use for filling wood scratches) but because it is in the flooring in a high traffic area, it is not holding up.

My question is: what is reasonable for me to ask the contractor to do about this? My wife wants a discount but I wouldn't even know what to ask for. Is there an appropriate repair recommended?

- Peter

Old 05-18-15, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

A picture or two would help, see above link. There are plenty of flooring experts here. I'm thinking some type of transition piece or reducer, wood reducer to match wood flooring.

The contractor may be at fault, as there are many ways to get a clean cut. The pictures will help in determining the best solution though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: