Using Engineered Hardwood in the Desert & Tile/Wood Transition Issue

Old 05-24-15, 11:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using Engineered Hardwood in the Desert & Tile/Wood Transition Issue

Hello, We are having troubles deciding on what to do w/our floors & are hoping for guidance.

Our house was built circa 1958 & has had some major renovations (before we bough it last year).

The house has massive chocolate brown tile (that we intend to keep), along w/some light colored carpet (in the living/dining/bedroom areas) that we would like to replace with either engineered hardwood or wood grain tile.

Now--for the questions:
1) Since we live in the desert, will engineered hardwood give us troubles (such as not lasting due to severe dryness, warping, etc.)?
2) If the above is not true, what's the story on acacia engineered wood? One installer told us it would work great; the other said it would be big trouble in the desert! We'd appreciate any guidance--thanks!

3) Also, we wonder if we would be better w/wood grain tile? Any thoughts?

4) And finally--considering our tile so so dark brown, should we try to "match" the color, do a contrasting color, or something in between?

I've included samples of the floors.

I would appreciate any guidance/suggestions w/our flooring issues.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Images   
Old 05-24-15, 12:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What type of subfloor do you have and what is your intended method of installation - Glue, float or nail down? Also, could you send us a link to the actual flooring. A google search of "acacia engineered wood" brought up everything from solid to laminate - so need to zero in better.

Old 05-24-15, 12:25 PM
S
Reply...

Great questions!

What type of subfloor do you have and what is your intended method of installation - Glue, float or nail down? Subfloor is plywood & one of the guys we interviewed suggested nailing it down.

Also, could you send us a link to the actual flooring. A google search of "acacia engineered wood" brought up everything from solid to laminate - so need to zero in better.

Below are the acacia wood samples we are considering:
Collections — Reward Hardwood Flooring

Also considering some hickory samples:
Wood Species — Reward Hardwood Flooring

Thanks again for your assistance!

Old 05-24-15, 12:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Here is a link to the installation instructions for this companies floors - http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...ons_102414.pdf

Further questions pertain to the subfloor make up. You said plywood - how thick is the plywood? Is there one or two layers? Is it definitely plywood, or is it OSB? What is located under the floor - a basement or crawl space?

This quote causes me to scratch my head a little bit.

-Minimum expansion space for 9/16 3⁄4 thick flooring is 5/8
-Minimum expansion space for 5/16 1⁄2 thick flooring is 1⁄2

Those are some big expansion gaps. Which is surprising for an engineered floor as they are usually more stable than solid. Just concerned how you would make the transition to your tile floor which is cut in the shape of a wave. And leave required expansion gap, and trim it out? I may have to wrap my head around that some more.

Getting back to your original question, I would call the manufacturer of the flooring and see if it is recommended to be installed in your temperate zone.

Old 05-24-15, 07:48 PM
S
Thanks so much for the links & all the other info! Very much appreciated.

Truth be told, I have no idea about the thickness of the plywood & a crawl space is located under the floor.

I emailed the manufacturer (Rewards Flooring) directly to ask about Acacia in te desert climate.

Wonder if we're better off replacing the carpet with tile? Would that be our best bet, considering we're in the desert & we have that odd, s-shaped curve that we're dealing with?

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-15, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
How much sand gets tracked into your house? Sand will play havoc with any wood finish

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: