Advice for 'den' that's in rough shape

Old 06-02-15, 01:44 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice for 'den' that's in rough shape

I'm about to start renting a small single-family house this month here in Tallahassee, FL. Most of the house is in decent shape, but there's an extra room/den that I'd like to spruce up and use as my office, where I'll spend most of my time.

As you'll see in the pictures, the room was obviously built on as an addition a few decades ago. It gets heat and AC, so I'm hoping that dampness isn't a problem. (It's extremely humid here.)

Assuming the landlord/owner won't help out, I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve this room myself. I will likely paint all the white surfaces (brick wall that used to be an exterior wall of the house, ceiling, and trim), and clean the wood panel walls.

(1) Is there a way to coat the wood panel walls to help them avoid dampness and/or to make them look fresher/nicer?

(2) What would you recommend for the flooring? Short of finding rugs to cover all of it, would you lay laminate flooring over the existing hardwood, refinish the existing hardwood, or do something else?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  12 den 1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  27.7 KBName:  13 den 2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  27.4 KBName:  14 den 3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 06-02-15, 02:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
I assume the walls originally had varnish/poly applied to them so after cleaning, a fresh coat of poly should both spruce them up and help them repel moisture.

Ideally you'd sand and refinish the floor although I'm not sure if all those stains would sand out BUT once the room is filled with furniture it might not be that noticeable.

You do have the landlord's blessing to do this work, right?

Old 06-02-15, 02:34 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The management company knows I plan to paint, and I'll run anything beyond that by them first, so they can check with the guy who owns the building (whose contact info I don't have).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: