Edges popped out from plank in new laminate floor installation

Old 06-05-15, 07:06 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Edges popped out from plank in new laminate floor installation

Hi guys,

Please see the attached images. I have a plank whose edge has popped out in two areas, including corner of adjacent plank. My floor has only been in for 4 days. What could have caused this?

I will need to repair this and will undo the floor. Of course, the aim is to only undo as less as possible to get to the affected area. What you see in the picture is the rear side of the plank. Do i have to undo the floor from the rear side of the installation or could I tackle this from the front of the installation (so normally you insert the front lip into the rear lip, I'm talking about inserting the rear lip into the front lip).

Thanks

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  6.0 KB

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  7.2 KB

Old 06-05-15, 07:17 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
What type of flooring is it? It looks like a click lock vinyl. If so, have you tried to bend that piece back into place? Usually, you unzip the floor in the opposite direction that it was installed so that you are always inserting the tongue into the groove.

Old 06-05-15, 07:27 AM
I
This is the floor Elesgo Supergloss Extra Sensitive White Laminate Flooring At Leader Floors

I've already used this floor in another room, which has been fine (TG) since installing 2 years ago. I did try stamping down on the affected area as well as use my hands, but there's hardly any movement. Considering the floor has only been installed for 4 days, could water do this damage in this short space of time? I thought generally laminate floors are fairly resilient to washing, and so the board would have to be soaked in water for it to damage as such.

Old 06-05-15, 07:49 AM
There probably was a little junk in the groove that prevented a good lock or there may have been a small pebble that was under that board that once walked on caused the unlock. Eitherway, it will have to be unzipped to repair.

Old 06-05-15, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
While you are at it, make sure the edges have enough space to allow for expansion. Never seen flooring like that. Never seen the other side of the moon, either, so something new every day.

Old 06-05-15, 04:42 PM
OP is from Texas but the link was to a UK based supplier. There were not any links to installation instructions either, just the price before VAT (value added tax to the non-economic types). So I could not verify how it was installed or what type of underlayment was best.

The other side of the moon is dark.....at least that is what Pink Floyd told me.

Old 06-05-15, 06:32 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
I agree, does not even look like flooring from those pictures.

Old 06-05-15, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
OP is in England not Texas.
An accurate location would help us help you.

Old 06-08-15, 07:26 AM
I
My apologies. Didn't see the Non-US option, nor knew location was important. Anyway, I have updated my details and yes, I am from the UK.

An update to my issue. The raise in the 1st image has gone down half of what you see in the image. The raise in the 2nd image has almost completely gone back down. I've decided to leave it alone yet to see how goes. Unfortunately, all the furniture was put back in the room so it's more than a mission to get it all out and re-do the floor.

This is the underlay that was installed.

The floor is a white high gloss wood laminate, about 1.3 metres length per plank. Click, lock, next plank. I had a veteran fitter install the floor and yes there was ample amounts of space left around the edges for expansion. The fitter believes the issue is due to water damage. I find it hard to believe that we've managed water damage in 4 days, when in another room we have the same floor fitted by the same guy since 2 years, and TG all is well with that. I suspect a faulty plank...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: