Laminate floor joints have become unglued

Old 03-31-01, 01:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Any ideas as to how I can remedy this please? I think that the floor should have had some boards over the original floorboards before it was installed. However this has not been the case and the laminate floor panels have become unstuck where the floorboards underneath must have dipped!

Any ideas besides ripping it all up?

Thankyou in advance

Pablo

Old 03-31-01, 01:52 PM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Pablo:

I don't think there's any recourse for you here as it sounds like the subfloor is very irregular and has hills and valleys in it. Laminate flooring is very prone to this type of damage due to it's minimal thickness as it flexes far more than say an engineered hardwood floating floor.

I'd have to say rip it out and solve the bad subfloor problem before thinking about any type of new floorcovering.

Old 03-31-01, 06:32 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Ken is correct in what he says, and if you do decide to "rip up" your floor Paul, there is an underlayment product known as "softboard" that will accomadate an uneven floor with errors of 3mm/m about 1/18" per yard. The softboard is also sold as a sound deadener. When "softboard" is laid at 45 to the planks so that no joints are obtaine in common with the laminate slightly greater errors can be "bridged".

Old 04-01-01, 03:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Many thanks

Thanks for the input. it looks like I am going to have to get the floor redone with some type of remedial work on the floorboards as you both mentioned.

Thanks again.

Pablo

Old 06-01-01, 12:31 PM
Visiting Guest
On a related note. Would I be able to reuse the laminate flooring that is already down providing I take it up carefully. I am intending on using some "chipboard" type material sold at the local DIY place to remedy the uneven floorboards?

It seems a waste to throw away the flooring that is already down.

The firm that layed the floor said "it was our fault" that the laminates glue has come undone because the floor was uneven in the first place! Well you live and learn!!!

Thanks in advance

pablo

Old 06-01-01, 01:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Pablo:

In your original post I was assuming you laid the floor and not someone you paid to do it? I would have to think it's their responsibility, unless you were aware of the subfloor condition and signed a waiver prior to the installation.

Old 06-01-01, 03:02 PM
Visiting Guest
I paid for the floor to be put down by a "firm" that has since "disappeared"! They came around a couple of weeks ago before they went belly up and told us that they could relay it but it would cost us the full price to have it done!

No wonder they went bust!!

So do you think I would be able to carefully take it apart and reassemble it with the new floorboards?

Thanks
Pablo

Old 06-01-01, 03:02 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Pablo; Some of the glueless brands can be used a second or even third time but the Glued assembly types will leave open and ugly gaps somewhere and most likely in several places on your floor. I cannot imagine how you might satisfactorily reuse your floor.

Old 06-02-01, 05:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Pablo:

Considering the floor wasn't installed right there may be a chance you can salvage some of it. I've done something similar on a floating engineered wood floor. If you can wiggle the pieces apart without causing damage to the end and side joints it's possible. Then you could send the good stuff off to a mill shop where they can "clean" the t&G areas so it can be reused.

Only problem is laminates can damage too easily during transport etc. It may work.

Old 06-02-01, 03:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Many thanks to all of you for your responses.

I think, once again, we will have to suck it in and I will lay a click type floor from scratch.

I will use the stuff thats down now as wall lining in my shed. Just need some animal head trophies and a shield with crossed swords!!

I may be asking for hints for laying the click stuff shortly

Once again many thanks.

Pablo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: