3 Qs:Unfinished lightweight concrete, self-leveler, and vinyl plank

Old 06-16-15, 09:23 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face 3 Qs:Unfinished lightweight concrete, self-leveler, and vinyl plank

Hello, serious newbie here...

1. This past weekend I finally got all the old, cemented-on, adhesive off my lightweight concrete flooring (building is wood framed) with a Diamabrush Coating Removal Tool. The thing is I'm going to have to be existing on the concrete for a while until I round up the cash to install flooring.

(side note: before you begin to wonder why on earth I would rip up my carpet only to live on unfinished concrete for the next however many months, it's because the wall to wall carpeting in my place (lived here for just a year) was essentially saturated with pet pee. It reeked and overall just made me really mad so I ripped it up one day with zero plan of action afterward. I still don't regret it.).

So now, the concrete is free of glue but boy is it dusty. Aside from PowerVacing my entire place, is there any non-toxic, low odour, concrete cleaner or finisher I can use to kind of clean and trap the dust? I say low odour because my place is only 705 sq/ft and with no cross breeze.

2. Is self-leveling compound always necessary before installing flooring? I'm in a condo complex on the third floor so will need specific underlay as part of my strata regs. The concrete looks like in relatively good shape - but it's hard to gauge with so little experience if self-leveler is necessary? I want to gather as much info as possible for when contractors come to look at my floor when it's flooring time.

3. I'd really like to get vinyl plank throughout my place but have recently heard that you can't put underlay under vinyl plank. Is there any exception to this rule?

Thanks!!

Old 06-16-15, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
1). A good mopping should help eliminate the dust.
2). SLC is good when there are dips and rises in your concrete. You will need a good level and possibly an extruded straight edge to determine any defection.
3). Putting underlayment under vinyl planks is not advised. You would be well served with click lock 5/8" engineered Flooring and underlayment.

Old 06-16-15, 02:57 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: 1. Someone mentioned epoxy for my floors. But, you're saying a good mopping should suffice. Is there any reason for the epoxy?

Thank you, chandler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: