How to remove laminate without removing baseboard

Old 06-25-15, 10:50 AM
How to remove laminate without removing baseboard

I have a lAminate floor is like to remove without removIng the baSeboard. This is bc the were replaced as painted, along with the walls when a wall between the kitchen and dining room was removed. I'd hate to replace the baSeboard bc it looks perFect. The plan was setting the depth of a cIrcular saw to cut a strip of laminate (this would allow me unlock the laminate) I then would put the new laminate down, using shoe molding in the perimeter. This would match the connecting Room.
Am I in the right tract? Any recommendations?
That's

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-15, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
If you work carefully you can usually get the base molding up and reuse it. You are going to have the same problem with your shoe molding idea that there will be a seam that's visible or needs to be caulked and re-painted so I don't think you are saving much if anything by trying to leave the baseboard in place.

Old 06-25-15, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your laminate either floats under the baseboard, or stops short by at least 1/4", and is covered by shoe molding which is nailed to the baseboard. I would think you will not have any problem slipping it out from under it. However, depending on what you replace it with (better product, I hope) the shoe molding may need to come up.

Often baseboard is set by the trim people at 1/2" above subflooring to accommodate carpet tucking over the tack strips. That height is not inordinate for laminate installation, either.

Old 06-26-15, 05:03 AM
There is currently no shoe molding, however I Am planning on adding it after I install the new floor.