Engineered HW

Old 06-29-15, 11:02 AM
Engineered HW

I am looking to install a 3/8" engineered hardwood over my 19/32" OSB subfloor. The existing flooring to be removed is a combination carpet/hardwood/tile.

The manufacturer recommends a glue down installation. Am I okay to glue this directly to my existing subfloor? If I need to remove it in the future, will I then also have to replace the subfloor?

Alternatively, would it be okay to install a 1/4" luan (or alternative) over the existing subfloor and glue to that? This would also increase my floor thickness and solve my issue with too high cut (from existing flooring being taller) door casings. If not, an other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-15, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Send us a link to your flooring choice. Also, can you cross check the thickness of your subfloor? I am familiar with 5/8" thick Plywood but less familiar with 5/8" OSB. Is it possible that you have 5/8" thick particle board? That is common under carpet, and a disaster waiting to happen under tile.

Some OSB's contain a bit of wax to make them more water resistant, this may cause issues with adhesive bonds.

Old 06-29-15, 05:48 PM
Link to the Hardwood:
http://www.palmettoroadfloors.com/ha...-flooring.aspx

Link to the Installation instructions:
http://www.palmettoroadfloors.com/ha...Engineered.pdf

Is is definately a 19/32" OSB subfloor. I can see it stamped on the underside from the unfinished part of my basement.

Old 06-30-15, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just see that your subflooring meets the "minimum" standards the manufacturer states. 5/8" at no more than 16" oc joists, nailed or screwed every 6". These are "minimum" standards, just so you are aware, not "optimal". They are also stating the subflooring should be CDX, not OSB. You may want to contact them to see if OSB would work as a minimum standard. If not, then you may be relegated to installing another 1/2" subfloor, without glue and screw it to the original subfloor intentionally missing the joists.