Transition between rooms with 3/4" height difference?

Old 07-03-15, 11:38 AM
Transition between rooms with 3/4" height difference?

I'm in the process of remodeling our second story. It's currently gutted down to the floor joists, all interior walls removed and I'm about to install the subfloor. It will have above floor radiant heat which will add 3/4" of floor height to several rooms. It will also have to pass Vermont inspection. The hallway opens up to a bathroom and two bedrooms.

I figure I can install 3/4" hardwood in the hallway, and 3/8" flooring in the bedrooms (hallway height plus 3/8"). But the bathroom still seems too high - If I use 5/16 kerdi membrane and 3/8 tile over the 3/4" heating I get hallway height + 11/16".

Can anyone suggest options? Am I right to be concerned that this would 'trip up' the inspection process?

I can't alter the stairwell other than changing the top riser because that would trigger all kinds of other problems with code (this is a 1910 house and many things are grandfathered in). The above floor radiant is also mandatory at this point for a variety of reasons.

Here is a picture of the problem area:
Name:  floor.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  35.6 KBName:  floor.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  34.0 KB

Last edited by eadlist; 07-03-15 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-15, 01:02 PM
I'm a Broker in Vermont and I don't know what you mean by a "Vermont Inspection" ?

The only time I've had a problem with these elevation changes has been with VA Mortgage Appraisals where it's the VA which often considers such a change to be a safety or tripping hazard, similar to a frayed carpet or a loose floorboard . . . . but not as easy to fix.

There may be other issues with the change in floor level; but the Veteran's Administration has been where it has interfered with some of my sales.

Old 07-03-15, 03:07 PM
Bad wording on my part, I said "Vermont Inspection" but meant to say "inspection by a Vermont building inspector" in the city of Burlington. We own the house and aren't planning on selling it.

Old 07-03-15, 04:08 PM
Well I think Burlington is unique in that it has its own building code, and I know nothing about it . . . . thank God !

Old 07-04-15, 07:21 PM
Transition

Butt a piece of your flooring to the high side, resting on the lower side, and cut a 15 degree bevel along its length to create a ramp down to the lower level floor. The thinnest part of the bevel should be approximately 1/4" thick. If you don't have the necessary tools to make your own you can also buy this transition/reducer.