Knee pads for doing floor work

Old 07-21-15, 04:07 PM
Knee pads for doing floor work

Does anyone have a recommendation for knee pads. I will be doing quite a bit of flooring work soon. Looking for knee pads that will stay put on my knees.

Been looking at these at Home Depot

TOUGHBUILT GELFIT Black Stabilizer Knee Pads-TB-KP-G205 - The Home Depot

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-15, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those are fine if you like to stay in an upright position. They will not allow you to lean over very well. They are comfortable, however with the Gel pack. I would try them on and try them out along with the others on the shelf just to make sure they have the movement and protection you need.

Have two knee replacements, and you find that even feather pillows won't work well You won't kick a carpet stretcher any more, either.

Old 07-21-15, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Wow, those look real complicated and kind of expensive. Sort of depends on what you will be doing IMO. I installed laminate and tile on concrete and subfloor and I went with a pair that had a hard outer shell with a decently padded interior. Easy to slide around on. Simple quick release buckle and a wide double strap.

If you are working over finished floor you want something non-marking. Never had the gel type.

Pro's will be around.

Old 07-21-15, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not a pro when it comes to doing floors so I figure will spend lots of time on my knees while doing this project. The ones referenced in my post are special or from Home Depot so trying them on isn't an option.. I'm not sure if something that slides will be better or worse for a novice floor guy

Old 07-22-15, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I try on anything I want at HD, so I am not sure of your reluctance to do so. If people think you are crazy, just give them a crazy look . I would not get any pads that have solid elastic sleeves. You do not want it bunching up behind your knee break. Separate upper and lower straps seem to have worked better for me without the discomfort.

Old 07-22-15, 04:48 AM
Don't get a cheap pair! Nothing but dis-comfort.

Old 07-22-15, 05:07 AM
I am not a flooring guy, but do enough of it and other things to wear pads regularly, and I don't know enough about the various materials used to be any more specific, but, speaking to the outer part of the pad, I typically prefer a harder surface for working on carpet, as it will slide a bit, and a softer surface when working on laminate, tile, vinyl, etc. to avoid scratching. When they start to wear out, I use them in the yard and garden. I have never had any problem finding something I like on the shelf at a lumber yard, big box, or places like Grainger, but imagine that, like anything else, they are more options shopping online. But I want something that is comfortable, so like to be able to strap one on first. Just like some gloves and other garments, some of the paddings trap moisture, and hold the sweat, so I generally try to remember to take them off when I won't be needing them for a bit, to let my pants breath.

Old 07-22-15, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
My favorite pair had a hard plastic shell on the outside I would not hesitate to buy that kind again. That said, I've avoided tasks requiring knee pads for a few years now and am trying to keep that streak going

Old 07-22-15, 03:01 PM
chandler
I try on anything I want at HD, so I am not sure of your reluctance to do so. If people think you are crazy, just give them a crazy look . I would not get any pads that have solid elastic sleeves. You do not want it bunching up behind your knee break. Separate upper and lower straps seem to have worked better for me without the discomfort.
They do not stock this particular pair of knee pads. I would have to special order them. The knee pads linked in my OP get very good reviews.

Old 07-22-15, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
I have tried quite a few different styles of knee pads, Including similar ones to the ones you posted. The good reviews look very promising, however the ones I had would shift on the knee when I would lean over as Chandler mentioned. My favorite ones have been discontinued (Made by Nailers) but I have found that ones with a single strap tend to stay in position better then two strap ones. These are kind of close: Shop AWP HP Non-Marring Polyester-Cap Knee Pads at Lowes.com

Old 07-22-15, 04:47 PM
Thanks Tolyn Ironhand. I guess after thinking about it single strap would stay in place better. I give the one you posted a try. At least they're in stock at Lowes

Old 07-22-15, 05:08 PM
I have gone through tons of knee pads trying to find some that are comfortable. Right now, I am using DG5224 Heavy-Duty Flooring Kneepads | DEWALT Tools and I have to say they are by far the best I have used to date. This pair has lasted me a year so far with no signs of wear at all.

My biggest issue has always been the straps bunching in the back of the knee making it very uncomfortable. Whatever the strap material is on these does not bother me at all. Honestly after about a half hour I forget I am wearing knee pads at all.

Like others have suggested though, don't be afraid to try them on right in the store. No point in buying something you are not going to be happy with and have to return.