landing with existing bullnose

Old 07-22-15, 08:57 AM
landing with existing bullnose

Hi Everyone,

So I decided to install laminate on the upstairs area of my home. I have come across and issue i'm hoping to be able to resolve. I ripped up all the carpet upstairs and on the landings I see that each landing has a bullnose. I came across a picture online of what my landing with the bullnose looks like. We decided to do the cap a tread for the steps however when we ordered the floor from home depot they ordered nose moldings to be used on the landings.

Now my question is can I remove or cut off the existing nose, make it flush with the riser and install the laminate on the landing with the coordinating stair nose that was ordered to match the laminate floors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-15, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! In all probability, the existing nose will break off in time anyway. Using a multitool, you can cut the nose flush with your trim, then pry it away from the riser/landing. Just not sure how much is offset. You may need to remove it, rip it to a certain size, and reinstall it to allow you to use the newly ordered flooring.

Name:  landing.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 07-22-15, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much!! There is actually a small gap between the floor and the nose of the landing which lends to your point of the nose breaking off in time anyway. Do you think it would be better to just take off the nose and replace it with an equal piece of plywood or just try to multi tool it? I'll snap a quick picture of it later tonight when I get home from work. Appreciate the feedback!

Old 07-22-15, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO it would be better/easier to remove the bullnose and replace with a strip of wood to fit ..... but I'm a painter, wait and see what the carpenters say

Old 07-22-15, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not a fan of laminate on stairs in any capacity. This is a landing and the nosing will ride above the laminate so the flooring can float which will leave a trip hazard on the landing. You will also need to add decorative riser to the treads which will canilever the nosing out even further into unsupported area. Laminate nosing is usually MDF with a picture on it and not really sturdy enough for the task. May be better off with a oak piece stained to match your laminate.

As far as the nosing, I would cut as much of the rounded part off with a circular saw (while it is in place) and multi-tool the rest. If the nosing is just nailed, I would screw it down to make sure it is sturdy.

Old 07-23-15, 04:58 AM
I agree 100% with czizzi on this one, just a really bad idea to do it on a second floor and a really really bad idea on stairs for many reasons.
Your going to find out this is going to be much louder when walked on.
Look at the ends of the nosing they send you, any I've seen have a thin film of what looks like peel and stick shelving paper over pressed paper.
The coating wears through, they tend to crack at the 90 deg. dato on the bottom side, they also form a trip hazard, there so narrow it's hard to even keep them attached.
Laminate flooring has to expand and contract so how are you going to cover the needed gaps between the skirt boards?

Old 07-24-15, 09:46 AM
For the stairs we went with the cap a treads which slip right over the existing tread that is there. As of right now I just sanded down and painted the existing risers white and will install the cap a treads. For the landing we were given a stair nose that has a metal track in which to install it. My rough placement as of now has everything still even in terms of height with all the steps also assuming I cut the nose down and have a square flat space to install it on.

Regarding the skirt boards i'll be installing new moldings along with a 1/4 round along the perimeter.

Old 07-24-15, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For the landing we were given a stair nose that has a metal track in which to install it.
Please elaborate on the attachment mechanism for the stair landing nosing. What you describe vs what I have seen doesn't sound sturdy enough for a stair nosing. Do you have a link to the actual piece?