hardwood floor over laminate

Old 07-28-15, 06:45 PM
hardwood floor over laminate

Recently I installed ¾ x 3”oak hardwood floor throughout most of my home. The sub-floor is ¾ T&G plywood to which I added 1/2 plywood to the floor so I could go parallel to the joists. I have two smaller bedrooms that I am about to do the same unless …. Both rooms have a laminate (Pergo?) floor installed 20 years ago that is at the same level as the sub-floor with the added 1/2 plywood. My question is can I install the ¾ x 3”oak hardwood floor over the laminate or do I have to rip it up?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-15, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Laminate is a poor subfloor material. Should it get wet it will expand, and could cause problems with the hardwood installation. It is a floating floor and must expand and contract with humidity and temperature changes. If you drive a kazillion cleats or staples into it, the floor will cease to be floating and will exhibit problems associated with buckling.

Bottom line, I would not do it.

Old 07-29-15, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mdf (laminate) will also not hold the cleats or staples. Guidelines are as follows for a nail down hardwood floor. Plywood should be minimum 5/8" thick, and OSB should be a minimum of 3/4" thick - again for holding power of the fasteners. Even though you are going over a solid subfloor, the cleats will "blow out" the other side and not have sufficient grab into the subfloor underneath.

Old 07-29-15, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
One more vote for removing the laminate and putting down the proper subfloor.

Old 07-29-15, 09:07 AM
That's what I thought ... thanks for the quick replies!