Subfloor on concrete for engineered hardwood

Old 07-30-15, 09:08 PM
Subfloor on concrete for engineered hardwood

So I am finishing half of my garage and I have never put flooring in, just replaced it. Researching leads me to a few different types of subfloors. I have come across sleeper type, flooring over plywood and then some types of flooring going straight onto slab ( with vapor barrier in between of course. What are the pros and cons of each. I live in a very hot humid and rainy area if that would effect my choices.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-15, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! We don't know where you are located due to your profile not being completed, so we start behind the eight ball so to speak. How much of a stepdown do you have from the main house to the finished part, or is the finished part away from the entrance to the house? DriCore is a good product for a subflooring on concrete. A little pricey, but it works. If you have a hint of moisture or humidity in the room (No A/c or heat), I would be reluctant to put a wood floor in it, BUT engineered flooring, especially click lock, will be so much better than laminate. Do a moisture test on the slab to see just how much moisture penetrates it. Tape off about a 3' x 3' square of clear plastic to the floor on all edges. Come back in a couple of days to see if you have water droplets on the plastic. If so, it may not be the best thing to install without a subflooring system.