Started ripping up carpet and found mold.

Old 08-03-15, 06:33 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Started ripping up carpet and found mold.

So a quick briefing, we bought this house in February, so far we've been lucky, done many repairs without a problem, the guy before us kind of ran the place down if you know what I mean. We've re-done the den top to bottom, as well as a few other things. Went to rip up the carpet in the master bedroom and was all good until we got to the window area, found some mold/mildew (not sure) and now I'm not sure what the next step is.. The drywall I was able to scrape off what was there, however in some spots the wood behind the drywall is damp and in a 1" by 10" space on the plywood on the floor I can easily shove my banana knife tip about 1/4" in to it and it's very wet. I assume from the carpet and sponge thing they had between the carpet and floor. Can I just hose this with bleach and soap or doI need to remove it? What about the wall? I've attached a link with a bunch of photos in one link, I would appreciate any feedback.

Also, the house does have in-floor heat so I would like to know the proper way to approach this if we do end up having to replace things.

House 101 by dispo96 | Photobucket

Last edited by JMDIY; 08-03-15 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 11:43 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

My concern is the source of the moisture. It is most likely a problem with the window above. That needs to be addressed first as the water will absolutely destroy the laminate. Post additional pictures of the inside of the room with the window as well as the outside. Try not to do too many close ups so we can better assess the situation.

Old 08-03-15, 12:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I've uploaded more pictures, as you can see I took on removing a piece that had screws in it (the rest seem to be nailed in?) so that I could take a closer look, from what I can tell they put a waterproof paint as well as a silicone on the cracks AND on the plywood to the frame of the house? After removing this specific piece, I can't see any evidence of water damage behind the drywall but this isn't really where the worst part of the damage was, just the first part I saw. I don't "feel" like this is an outside -> in problem but how do I be sure?

Edit : I've also bleached and borax'd the entire area along the wall.

Old 08-03-15, 04:45 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Others will chime in I hope, but I would review the flashing where the angled part of the roof meets the flat part under the left side window as you look from the outside. There is only a 1/2" to 1" overlap n the flashing which is not enough IMO to thwart water infiltration.

I also note a large water stain in and around the other window extending into the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: