"Some" water under laminate flooring


Old 08-10-15, 12:03 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Some" water under laminate flooring

This evening we had some water drip/spray out of the leaky toilet. We caught it within 30-60 min of it happening, but the water reached the end of the bathroom with tiled floor. The hallway outside of the bathroom has laminate flooring, on cement slab (not sure what, if anything, is between). The water didn't go above the little laminate threshold strip. But when we stepped on the laminate in front of it and then stepped off, some water got sucked in underneath. I am guessing about 1/4 cup. We could hear it sloshing in about 1 sqft area when stepped on it. After about an hour we don't hear in any more. I assume it got absorbed by the laminate.
I have a fan going pointed where the strip and tile meet. I'll get the plumber in as soon as possible to replace the toilet, and have them test for humidity presence on the laminate.
What else should I do?
I read a little about dehumidifiers, but this hallway doesn't have any door to the rest of the open floor plan, so not sure they would work.
Do I need to rip out the laminate? It was installed by a previous owner more than 10 years ago, and the same laminate goes through almost the entire house. I doubt I'd be able to find the same one to match if I only went to replace few boards.
My insurance deductible is >$2000, so I am not sure it's worth getting them involved.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-15, 01:42 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,113
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Do you have a wet/dry shop-vac? Go down every seam very slowly (assuming it's click lock type) with the vac, suck out all you can. Run the fan constantly (borrow another if you can) and ventilate for a few days. Wait and see what happens...that's all you can do. Ventilate ventilate ventilate.

I know some people hate laminate (Larry?) but if it is quality stuff that may have been glued together...it stands up pretty well. I'd never use it in a kitchen or bath, there are too many other better products.
Old 08-10-15, 04:06 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Vic's right. You may even need to remove any threshold between the tile and the laminate in that doorway and place a wedge under the laminate to allow for even more ventilation under it. The threshold will destroy itself upon removal, so you will need a new one. For laminate to have lasted 10 years, you may have a quality product. Many people go for the 68 cent bargain stuff and it is really not a good quality.
Old 08-10-15, 07:06 AM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,523
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
We finished one bedroom with laminate a few years ago and I remember some of the scraps being left outside. Months later I found one in a wet spot in the bushes, under water. I was surprised that 90% of it was perfect. But the other 10% went from 1/4" to over 1/2". certainly could not remain as part of a floor. But brands will differ and this was a cut piece. All above advice may get you through, but this is another reminder that basements are a difficult place to keep dry.

Old 08-10-15, 11:45 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't have a shop-vac, but there is no water on the seems. There never was any water on top of the laminate. I ran the fan overnight for 12 hours. This morning I think I see a tiny bulging on one or two seems, where the short edges meet, but it could have been there before. I put heavy objects on top. I didn't feel comfortable leaving the fan on while I am not there during the day, just left the AC on. The fan will go on tonight again.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: