Expansion gap at threshold

Old 08-15-15, 09:38 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Expansion gap at threshold

I've finally finished laying down my maple hardwood floors, with the exception of the very last row, which I've cut and fit in place but haven't nailed yet. The row meets a threshold of a doorway with a stone (marble?) threshold. Ideally, I'd like to cut a thin strip of wood and fit it against the threshold, but I'm wondering if that's a good idea. Here is the area in question:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/av1lgyrm6h...19.51.jpg?dl=0

I know floors need room for expansion, but I'm wondering if the nature of where this threshold is may be somewhat of an exception. It's right across from my fireplace, where the wood is more or less flush up against it, as shown here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kgu8mizj4...22.28.jpg?dl=0

This is in a long room, where I started laying the floors at the opposite end of the fireplace, so the threshold is about 12' 9" from where it started. The flooring in the opposite end of the room was laid out from that "center" point with a spline to change directions. The edge of the couch in the photo marks about where it starts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ie9tmin0i...22.36.jpg?dl=0

So... bad idea to just flush fit a piece of flooring against that threshold? Safe? I'm not sure that it matters, but the wood has been well acclimated - it sat in the room for a good 2-3 months before I ever got around to laying the first plank.

How should I finish that row near the threshold? I bought a piece of t-moulding that is made for a laminate floor that I was going to paint to color match the stain and was going to make the gap between the last row and the threshold wider to fit it, but if there isn't much harm in flush fitting I'd rather do that.

Thoughts?

Old 08-16-15, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is there an elevation difference between the threshold piece and the wood flooring? If there is, then the T molding would be in order. How thick is your flooring? I am just leery of putting in such a narrow piece of wood to fill a gap that may or may not be needed for expansion.

Old 08-16-15, 04:59 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Once you account for the tongue needing clearance to get into the groove, you are going to have a gap no matter what you do. Unless you cut off the bottom half of the groove. I would find a piece of hardwood molding and float it over the gap. T-molding is probably not the correct choice in this situation. I also have concerns that you may have expansion issues. Really should have been some sort of a gap at the fireplace as well.

Old 08-16-15, 09:38 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a slight elevation difference between the molding and the wood. The molding is maybe 1/16-1/8" higher? The flooring is 3/4" thick.

I've already cut the groove off the last boards. If I were to fit it up against the molding I'd need to cut a very thin strip of flooring to fit and use a tiny bit of glue and face nail it in place. I anticipated having to remove the last row to make whatever solution work, though, so it isn't nailed down yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: