Basic laminate layout

Old 08-25-15, 04:57 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basic laminate layout

Hello,
I am going to replace the carpet in my parents bedroom with laminate. Here is a basic picture of the layout of the room. The closet is on the left and the doorway pictures on the bottom left. What would be the correct direction to lay the laminate? What should I do with the carpet to laminate transition that will be created?Name:  room.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  7.3 KB

Old 08-25-15, 06:12 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Generally you would lay it lengthwise, so the long dimension of the planks is parallel to the long dimension of the room. Measure the width of the room and compare it to the width of the planks so you know how many full rows there will be and what fraction will be left over. If the fraction is more than .5, you could start with a full plank at the far wall, and then put the fractional part against the near wall. If the fraction is less than .5 you are better off using a partial row at the start and a partial row at the end. For example, say you need 12.4 rows to fill the room. start with .7 followed by 11 full rows, and finish with another .7 for a total of 12.4.

You should also check where the closet opening will fall with respect to the pattern. You may have to adjust the width of the starting plank to avoid ending up with a little sliver at the closet opening. The idea is to sketch things out with the aim of avoiding narrow little strips as much as you can.

All the laminate manufacturers make color matched transition strips to transition between the flooring and carpet or other surface. Just purchase a piece of that when buy the flooring.

Ideally, you would remove any baseboard molding and trim the door moldings so the laminate fits underneath. Then you reinstall the baseboard molding to cover the gap you must leave at all the edges. Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-15, 07:54 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. My other question is what to do where the close is? Do you do some kind of transition strip in the closet, or just do a bunch of small strips of laminate up in the top and bottom end of the closet?

Old 08-25-15, 08:16 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In the main part of the closet the strips will usually run continuous with those in the main room. The two little sections will be filled in with small pieces. You will have to start the first little section with the same width piece you start the main room, and add full width pieces until you get to the door opening where it will join up with the piece from the main room extending through the doorway. That piece will probably need to be notched to go around the door jamb unless you are very lucky and it falls exactly on a seam.

Your other option would be to lay the closet length wise and use a transition strip in the door jamb. That might result in less cutting and fitting and waste, but I think it looks better if the flooring in the main room flows into the closet. It depends a bit on the pattern of the flooring. You can lay a few pieces down and see which way you prefer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: