Matching existing oak flooring

Old 08-27-15, 09:23 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Matching existing oak flooring

Hi all

I'm looking for a little advice on which direction to go with a oak solid hardwood with angle cut carpet on one side and a square carpet chunk in the middle of the hardwood floor. Yes you read that right in the middle.

The house is from the 80s and the floor and carpet is original. I'd like to make it all hardwood and hate the idea of ripping out the existing wood becvause its in great shape but I don't know how I can match it at least close without redoing all of it. What I'm thinking is by the time I'm done piecing new floor in then sanding the whole thing and re-staining I might be better off just ripping it all out.

What are your thoughts on this? The carpeted area is about 300 sq ft and the existing wood is about 1000 sq ft.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-15, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You know pictures would tell us a much better story. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Finding a close match may not be all that difficult. From what I gather in your post the angular part can be "bread boarded" along the angle with long strips of flooring, then new flooring placed at a 90 degree angle to the existing to break up the design. You will never get the flooring to match perfectly end to end. I'll indicate so on pictures you send. As far as the carpet middle booger, You can maybe make a mosaic of wood or even tile in it for an accent. Surround the opening with darker wood and fill it in with wood cut on an angle or tile. Again, we'll see with the pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: