Removing Carpet Tack Strip from Parquet Tiles

Old 09-09-15, 12:19 AM
Removing Carpet Tack Strip from Parquet Tiles

Hi guys, I'm new here. Just bought our house and have started removing the veeeerrrrry outdated shag carpet. As suspected, there was hardwood beneath the carpet, but it's surprisingly parquet tiles. So tonight we ripped up the carpet in one room, and when we got to removing up the tack strip, I found that no matter how I did it, I cracked the parquet.

First question: any advice for removing the tack strips from the parquet?

Second question: once I *do* get it up, is it easy to replace the tiles on the edges where they broke or will I need to replace entire sections?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure you'll see me here a lot now that I have a new project to work on.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-15, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
About the only thing I can think of is to bread the tack strip from around the nails leaving the nail intact without any wood around it. Then using some combination of 2 tools slip one around the nail and then use a pry bar against the other tool to hold the wood down as you pull the nail. Tedious and slow but can not think of much else if the nail is delaminating the wood when you pull it.

Old 09-09-15, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
If you really want to save the parquet I think Crizzi's idea is the best. I've had luck breaking off the tack strip. Then use a pair of heavy wire cutters to cut the nail as flush as possible. Then carefully hammer what's left down to be flush.

If you have the pieces of broken parquet I'd try piecing it back together and glue the pieces down. Even if you get replacement strips they likely will not match and will stand out worse than the cracks from your broken pieces.

Old 09-09-15, 10:50 AM
OK, I'm off to try that today. Will update later with photos.

Old 09-09-15, 11:54 PM
So good news and bad news, I found light taps on a pry bar with a hammer works... on one positive side, where I broke the parquet tiles I found hard wood below! (or at least through the glue it seems to be hardwood) on the downside, an entire section of flooring is just plywood. So it looks like I'm gonna re-do my entire first floor with hardwood flooring (other than the kitchen).

Thanks for the suggestion, I did hammer in a few nails on the second floor that I couldn't get up.