1/8" Height Difference

Old 09-22-15, 11:26 AM
1/8" Height Difference

Hi. I'm planning to glue hardwood to a concrete subfloor. Previously installed tile measures 3/8" above the concrete subfloor.

We've only been considering 3/8" flooring to have a nice clean, even transition (using flexible grout), but I just set a 1/2" sample next to the tile, and the 1/8" height difference doesn't seem unsightly at all.

The plan is to use flexible grout (that matches the tile grout) between the two floors.

Am I crazy to think this will be okay? Or should we just look at 3/8" hardwoods? The selection at 1/2" seems much nicer.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-15, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums, its good to have you on board.

Direct contact of wood to concrete is usually a recipe for disaster. Consider a floating engineered floor that you either glue to EACH other (not to concrete) or a click lock floating floor. You would then use a transitional t-molding strip at the tile.

Have you done the necessary moisture testing on your slab?

As far as selection, Shop around some more and if you can see it on line, your flooring store can order it in. If you are only shopping at the big box stores, your selection will indeed be limited.

Old 09-22-15, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Slab has been tested. I was told glue that includes vapor protection was perfectly fine. We absolutely do not want transition strips, hence the glue down approach.

So is 1/8" height difference a problem?

Old 09-22-15, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
We absolutely do not want transition strips
Seems to me that you are creating one by having a lip at the transition.

Did you want to provide a link to the actual flooring and the actual glue you plan to use that we may review and cross check for areas of concern?

Old 09-23-15, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
We absolutely do not want transition strips
Then I think you limit yourself to 3/8" flooring. Your call.

Old 09-23-15, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Here's some additional info:

1) Two installers I called out said for higher end homes in this area they always go with Multi-Ply Engineered + Gluedown + Flexible Grout to meet the tile. They've done "hundreds" like this without it being a problem.

2) Haven't decided on glue, but basically a Urethane + Moisture Barrier, maybe Roberts 1509.

3) The hw-to-tile connection is a living room. Tile at the home entry, and two other spots going into the tiled kitchen.

4) The hw is 1/2" 6-ply construction with 2mm veneer. It is a rustic looking European Oak with wire brushing and light liming.

As for the lip, it is ~3mm and visually VERY different from 17 linear ft of t-mold. The installers said they never do tmolds for large living spaces like this b/c everybody hates the look.

I'm just curious as to any problems arising from having ~3mm higher wood. I'd have the silicone flexible grout perhaps taper down to meet the tile, or even slightly bevel the edge of the wood (if it will handle it)?

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-15, 04:46 PM
NO way would I ever glue solid wood directly to concrete. You might get away with it in the desert, where there is little to no humidity or ground water, but a coastal region? No way.

Just my opinion

Old 09-23-15, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Keith, appreciate the joint concerns of wood over concrete.