Glue down engineered wood on plywood subfloor...Which adhesive?

Old 10-02-15, 01:03 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue down engineered wood on plywood subfloor...Which adhesive?

I'm planning to glue down engineered wood (3/8" x 4 3/4" wide) to a plywood subfloor in 2nd floor bedrooms and hallways.

Flooring manufacturer specs say "Use premium flooring adhesive which is non-water based, formulated for hardwood flooring installation. Preferred type: moisture cure urethane floor glue.".

My flooring rep recommends "Roberts 1407 4-gal. Engineered Wood Glue Adhesive", while I have read Mapei i.e, Ultrabond Eco 980 or 995 is the way to go.

Which adhesive, would you use and why?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-15, 01:34 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
I would use a flooring staple gun not adhesive.
A whole lot mess to deal with.

Old 10-02-15, 02:11 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Unless you don't care about any warranty coverage I would strongly suggest using the material recommended by the flooring manufacturer.

Old 10-02-15, 03:24 PM
C
Thanks!

The manufacture's rep didn't seem very knowledgeable about specific adhesives and/or leveling patching compounds for the subfloor. He actually told me that he had to call a couple of installers. With that said, and I'll confirm this but I'm pretty sure as long as I use a "non-water based...moisture cure urethane floor glue." as stated in the manufacture's installation specs, I should be in compliance.

Old 10-02-15, 03:36 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The question is, why are you gluing it when a more solid floor can be had by nailing/stapling the floor down. Glue is the option for concrete, but I wouldn't even go there and probably float. Tell us about your flooring, any links to the actual product? What does the subfloor look like, how thick, is it flat within specifications? All important questions if you are going to install any type of flooring.

Old 10-02-15, 05:45 PM
C
Originally Posted by czizzi
The question is, why are you gluing it...?
THAT question has been asked and along with all of your other questions about my flooring answered in the following previous thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/so...glue-down.html.

The question is, which "non-water based...moisture cure urethane floor glue." would you use and why??

Last edited by c1351996; 10-02-15 at 06:02 PM.