Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Solid Hardwood, Engineered and Laminate Flooring
Reload this Page >

Why the weird shaped bent nails around the perimeter of the hardwood flooring?

Old 10-05-15, 05:40 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was looking at a fixer-upper house for sale this weekend and walked in the house while the plumbing was being worked on. The baseboards were nonexistent and I noticed something very odd about the finish nails holding down the perimeter of the hardwood flooring underneath the old baseboards...

There were bent finish nails at the perimeter of hardwood flooring holding down each piece of hardwood plank on the edges of the room. Why is there a bend in these nails? I am just wondering what to do about this in case I purchase this house and want to add a nice tall baseboard around the rooms.

Old 10-05-15, 05:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
pics would be nice

My guess would be whoever install the flooring was sloppy or lazy The fix would probably entail removing the nails and using colored putty to hide the holes.

Old 10-05-15, 06:02 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The baseboards were nonexistent
They are either leftover nails from the baseboards or (most likely) the shoe molding that that was attached to it. If the shoe was pine, then the oak flooring would hold the nail an the shoe would break off while being removed leaving a bent nail.

Old 10-09-15, 07:01 PM
T
Thanks guys. I just wanted to let you know that I checked out the house again and talked to the previous owner. He doesn't know why the nails on the floor are bent like that, but thinks that there may have been quarter round shoe molding attached at some point. So, it probably is what czizzi is saying. Thanks again. This one was perplexing, but I think we have it figured out now.

Old 10-09-15, 09:06 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think that the compressor had lost air pressure or the nail gun wasn't set correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: