Laminate floor in hallway at existing carpet in doorway

Old 10-26-15, 05:30 PM
Laminate floor in hallway at existing carpet in doorway

Hi new to the forum and first time installing laminate flooring. I am putting laminate in my hallway that is currently carpeted. At the bedroom doorways the existing carpets meets the bedroom carpet is and taped from the underside at the transition but no tack strip across the doorway opening. If I cut the hallway carpet to remove it in the middle of the door open the bedroom carpet is loose due to no tack strip across the doorway. What is the best way to secure the existing carpet down at the doorway and transition to the new laminate floor I'm installing in the hallway? Where should the transition be and where should the existing hallway carpet be removed? Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-15, 05:36 PM
Usually the flooring transition is right under the door when it is closed.

There are several types of transition strips available. Once your new floor is down and the new transition strips are in place that should hold your carpet in place as well.

Old 10-26-15, 06:02 PM
I got the transition strip made by the same brand as the flooring meant to go from carpet to laminate. I just wasn't sure if it's strong enough to hold the carpet down on its own or of I'll need a tack strip as well. A tack strip would make the carpet pretty thick.

Old 10-26-15, 06:05 PM
The transition should hold it down without any issues. If the carpet is thin enough, you can screw the plastic transition channel to the carpet and then snap the strip into it to hold the carpet better.

Old 10-26-15, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will need a tack strip to hold the carpet in that area. the transition strip will just sit on top of it. You may also need to have the carpet re-stretch as well. Really can't make a call on that without seeing the actual area. But if the carpet is loose when uncoupled from the hall, then you need something to keep it in place.