Water damaged tongue and groove flooring

Old 10-28-15, 11:36 AM

I have removed water damaged flooring and replaced it with some pieces I had cut to fit. Screwed down the warped pieces etc. I can probably match the old floor with just varnish, but the padding from a rug that was under the table stuck to the floor as well, and left a hard residue. I can get it off with 120 grit sandpaper, but don't know what the proper refinish steps and materials should be. Someone said Urethane?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-15, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
What kind of flooring is it?

Old 10-28-15, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Polyurethane dries to a harder finish than varnish = better longer lasting wear.

What did you screw down? the sub floor or the wood flooring? pics might be helpful.

Old 10-29-15, 09:32 AM

The floor is tongue and groove slats about an inch and a half wide and a quarter inch thick. (1963 stuff you can't get any more) I removed the badly warped pieces (two of them side by side about 4' long, and replaced them with slats I had made at a lumber yard to just drop into the floor. The slightly warped ones I did not replace, I drilled down where they went thru the sub floor to the floor joists, countersunk the pilot holes, and screwed down the flooring with 3" long Phillips head screws until everything was flat. I plan to fill in the holes above the screws and refinish the floor. I have had no luck with the instructions for attaching photos, probably my fault.

Old 10-29-15, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
See if this helps - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
If you can't get the pics to post you can always provide a link for photobucket or wherever you have them stored.

Probably too late now but nails would have been better than screws. It's easier to hide a nail head with colored putty than a big screw head. I assume the wood is too thin for a wooden plug over the screw head to work.

Old 10-29-15, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
OK, so it's solid wood flooring?

If there's no stain on it, three coats of oil based polyurethane is my preference.