Wrong Subfloor?

Old 12-17-15, 12:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wrong Subfloor?

I hired a contractor to replace my subfloor over 400 sq ft in two rooms on my first level. Upon completion, I realized they used 3/4 in plywood sheathing instead of 3/4 in tongue and groove plywood.

I plan to put down laminate or engineered hardwood.

Will this be OK? Is this typical?

Old 12-17-15, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yes, T&G would have been ideal. 1 1/4" of subflooring is also preferred. We don't know the spacing and size of your floor joists, nor the unsupported span. Having that information would garner better responses.

Old 12-17-15, 02:16 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I've used nothing but Advantech sub flooring since it came out many years ago.
Far better then plywood.
One layer and your done.
Compare To The Strongest Plywood Floors, Prevent Floor Squeaks, Quiet Floors | Huber Engineered Woods
Sheathing is full of voids in the core, and if it's not T & G it's going to flex at the seams and cause squecking.
If it was mine I'd go over the whole thing with A/C 1/2" plywood making sure not to have the seams line up with the seams below and not nail to the joist.
20 years ago that was just the way it was done, not any more.

Old 12-17-15, 06:23 PM
A
The joists are 16 OC. I couldn't believe it when I noticed given that t&g plywood is only a dollar or two more per sheet and i wasnt even consulted... although I've been called a perfectionist before so I was hoping that this would be fine.

Old 12-17-15, 06:35 PM
A
Another half inch on top would prevent my entry door from clearing with the height of padding/laminate or 3/4 hardwood.

Old 12-18-15, 02:12 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You should be OK, just make sure that there is an expansion gap between boards. Look for markings on the panels and compare to the minimums listed in these wood flooring guidelines. Page 25 refers to subfloor preparation. It states a minimum 5/8" plywood panels - you have 3/4" So I think you are safe. While I usually go for the additional 1/2" like others mentioned, I understand your height restrictions. Did they screw the panels down or nail? If nail, add some exterior deck screws or rated subfloor screws to keep things quiet.

http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/nwfa-install-guidelines.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: