Can Bellawood be spot refinished?

Old 01-03-16, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can Bellawood be spot refinished?

I have about 2 sqft showing wear on 9 yr old 2" red oak Bellawood. Is there any way of touching this up? The finish is gone along some wood edges and grey wood showing thru.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-16, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
I've done small areas like a splinter or scratch but two square feet is beyond what I call a little touch up. Bellawood/Husky has a UV cured finish so it's difficult to get any wet applied finish to match perfectly especially if the old finish is worn. You can come close but it all depends on the wood you have, the condition of the floor and your skill.

You said "grey showing through" which makes me think the floor is stained and you said "wood edges showing through" which sounds like you've worn through the finish and damaging the wood. I would consider putting down an area rug or mat to protect and conceal the damaged area. Then when the time comes the entire floor may be a good candidate for refinishing. If you're feeling really creative you can get down on hands and knees and use a fine artist brush and touch up the raw exposed wood with stain to match the rest of the floor then cover with a clear poly.

Old 01-04-16, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Pics might be helpful.
Whenever you refinish small areas like that it is important to do whole complete boards. As mentioned above the site applied finish won't be an exact match to the factory finish but doing an entire board will minimize the effect.