Old Pine Floors

Old 01-03-16, 02:33 PM
Old Pine Floors

First time poster here. I hope this isn't something that's already been covered a million times?!

We have a 100+ year old building, currently being used as a restaurant/general store. Lots of traffic, lots of wear and tear. I'm attaching two pictures and hoping y'all have some suggestions! We are mainly looking to preserve and protect the pine. If it can be pretty and shiny that's a bonus! Any ideas?!?!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  43.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  46.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-16, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Best thing to do is to have them professionally sanded down... then stain and poly as desired. The face nails are unfortunate... you may want to set the heads deeper before sanding the floor.

Old 01-03-16, 03:36 PM
The OP sounds pretty confident that this is Pine; but I've not seen softwood flooring done up in such narrow slats . . . . what are they, 3 or 4" ?

I have a house that dates from 1832 and it has wide (some are 20") Pine boards that were used for an under-layment (with square nails) and then they were overlaid with narrow Maple or Oak, once the people could afford the more expensive hardwood.

Some rooms here never got treated with hardwood, and the repetitive foot traffic pattern shows in the worn softwood.

I'd double check to be sure of what you have before developing an action plan.

Old 01-03-16, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
IMO I would leave it as is. You will never be able to have a patina like that again and it fits the building.

Old 01-04-16, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks like pine to me. I used to go to a church built in 1903 that had similar flooring.

How long can the store be closed to accommodate refinishing? Cleaning and wax might be a better choice.