Hardwood floor cracking

Old 02-05-16, 09:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood floor cracking

I was cleaning my hardwood floor (real hardwood) and there is a section that is cracking and splintering. Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

See image: https://imageshack.us/i/poa0Q7j0j

Old 02-05-16, 11:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'd say bad board in need of replacing.

Old 02-05-16, 11:14 AM
B
I'm not sure if I can get a matching board it is 25 years old is there a glue or something gi can fill it with?

Old 02-05-16, 11:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
That board probably had a hollow spot or resin pocket in it when it was installed. If it's an old floor it may have been buried deeper but the sanding required for refinishing removed the good wood on top, or it was simply a piece that should not have been installed. Eventually the thin bit of wood over the void or resin pocket broke.

Best and most difficult would be to replace the board. It's takes some skill and a source for the donor piece of wood. Then getting the finish to match is quite difficult so I usually put if off until the the entire floor is going to be refinished.

As a semi-permanent Band Aid I fill the void with clear resin. I remove really loose, flaky pieces of wood. Thoroughly clean out the void. Then pour in the clear epoxy. Sometimes if there are flakes of wood protruding after filling I'll lay a sheet of wax paper over it an place a very heavy, flat chunk of steel on top to hold everything flat until the epoxy cures.

Lastly, I would make sure that it's just a bad spot in the board and not a sign of termite damage. Yours looks like just a bad board but I would give a quick look around just to make sure.

Old 02-05-16, 11:32 AM
B
Thanks. Silly Question, how do I tell if there is termite damage. I doubt there is, but I definitely want to make sure.

Old 02-05-16, 01:21 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Someone else will give you the details on what to look for as far as termites but I want to tell you that, depending on where in Washington you live, termites are not that common, at least not in the Puget Sound area. On the other hand, Carpenter ants, which can be just as destructive as termites, ARE very common in Washington.

Old 02-05-16, 02:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You should be able to get a matching board, I think it is white oak. The main thing is to make sure the width is the same. It either has a light stain or no stain with an oil base poly giving it that amber color.

Old 02-05-16, 06:47 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Pilot has the best idea.
That was a defective board that should have been trashed.
Only way to fix this right is to replace that one board.

Old 02-08-16, 03:38 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I agree with Mark - It looks like typical white oak board. Replacing it is not difficult. There are probably a hundred how to sites on the internet. Here's is just one - Youtube

Getting a color/finish match might be a bit tougher, but for a single board a little trial and error would not be expensive. Besides, most hardwood floors have a bit of color variation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: