Hairy hardwood floor

Old 02-08-16, 03:56 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Hairy hardwood floor

I had hardwood floors refinished last week. Sanded, stained and 3 coats of oil based poly. I didn't get a look at it until this weekend. The contractor was hired by a property manager since we are a few hours away.

The floors were in rough shape but the contractor did a really good job restoring them, including repairing several damaged boards. Unfortunately, when we got to see the floor my wife found a foot long hair embedded in the
poly - right in the middle of the room. I tried to call the contractor to get it fixed only to find he's in Cancun for a couple of weeks.

We have furniture piled to the ceiling in the kitchen and we want to get it fixed. I have left over stain and poly but I'm not sure the best way to fix this so that it is "invisible." I'm looking for suggestions before I scrape off the hair, sand the area and refinish. My main concern is - should I wait until the floor is cured or do it now while the poly is still "soft?"

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-16, 04:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who's hair was it? I don't think that you have to wait to put your furniture back in the room. I would pick out the hair with a knife or an ice pick. Then touch up the poly.

Old 02-09-16, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
For the most part the poly is cured in about 72 hrs. I wouldn't recommend you sanding and refinishing a small portion of the floor, if not done correctly the touch up may look worse than the hair. Sometimes you can just pull the hair up and buff the area with a rag and get an acceptable fix.

Would it be that big of a deal to place the furniture back and either leave that section open or remove whatever would cover it when the contractor has time to come back?