Would it be ok to lay laminate in this floor?

Old 03-10-16, 02:52 AM
Would it be ok to lay laminate in this floor?

Hi guys.

So, I recently purchased a new house, and am currently decorating the bedrooms. I was looking to lay laminate floor in the bedroom, so whilst decorating, removed the old carpet, and to my surprise, found that the floors had been covered with a sub-flooring.

It all looks to be fairly level and good, apart from one section, where it rises a bit above the rest. I would guess about 2-4mm... Here's some pictures of the floor:

Name:  2016-03-06 15.46.49.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  18.8 KB
Name:  2016-03-06 15.46.56.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  17.3 KB
Name:  2016-03-06 15.47.06.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  24.1 KB

I am reluctant to pull up the boards, as I'm not sure what's underneath, and don't any more hassle. So, if laminate is not an option, I will just have to revert back to carpet...

Been a long time since I laid laminate, so can't fully remember, but hopefully with a decent underlay, this floor should be ok?

Can people let me know their opinions please? The laminate I was looking to use is a QuickStep brand, and is 7mm boards (since not high traffic area). Would this be ok, or if I did go ahead, would thicker boards be recommended?

Thanks for input...

David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-16, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You are in the UK, so you guys do things differently than we do on this side of the pond. Have you been able to identify that material? It looks like either particle board, or a fibrous underlayment. It is only fastened with wide crown staples around the perimeter and not in the field. Do you know what thickness this product is, and do you have a subfloor under this?

I would recommend finding out why that panel is popped up and get it laid down first. If you decide to go with this underlayment, screwing it to the subflooring in the field will be mandatory. I am not a fan of laminate flooring. I would recommend a good click lock 4 or 5" wide engineered floor. It won't be affected as much by moisture, will lay flatter, and won't "click" when you walk on it. 7mm is highly inadequate, IMO. I would go with no less than 3/8"

Old 03-10-16, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with everything Chandler said. I have seen so many laminate failures that I certainly would not use it myself. In fact, I won't install it either.