Cleaning of floating floor

Old 04-06-16, 03:08 PM
Cleaning of floating floor

I have just replaced my old linoleum floors with new laminate flooring. I know that I can't use my old mop and pail to wash them, but am having a hard time finding what to purchase to clean them.
I use a soft broom and soft brush on the vacuum to start. I don't know whether to get a steam mop or what for the actual cleaning part. I was looking at the following Hoover Steam Scrub mop which is 65% off at Canadian Tire until tomorrow as I could use it for other things than just my floor. I don't see any useful answers in the FAQ.
If this is not adequate for laminate flooring could you recommend something else?
Swiffer type of thing is fine for dusting, but not cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-16, 04:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look for a liquid spray "cleaner", not a wax or steam or water. The less moisture you have on the floor the better. I use Orange Glo on my full size bamboo, and it is recommended for laminate as well. They make a wax/finish, but choose the "cleaner" only. Laminate needs no wax.

Old 04-06-16, 04:34 PM
Thanks Chandler - There are so many mops for different applications out there I'm left bewildered. Same with cleaning products and finishes...
A bucket of warm water, Pinesol and a mop was so easy, but the 46 year old linoleum was past its prime.

Old 04-06-16, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't use steam, that's for tile or linoleum.

I use a damp sponge mop and any type of mild soap or a little pine-sol. 8 years and the floor looks like new. Not much sticks to the floor so I am buffing more than scrubbing.

After the sponge mop I use a dry microfiber pad mop to buff the floor. The microfiber mop is about the width of a push broom, and I would recommend one even if you forgo the water and use the spray cleaners.

Old 04-06-16, 06:45 PM
Thanks Brian - The spray mop followed up with microfiber sounds good.

I'm hoping to not have to do any scrubbing. spillage is the most likely candidate for any mess.