Leveling old hardwood plank floor

Old 05-18-16, 11:29 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leveling old hardwood plank floor

I would like to level out my 10x10 kitchen that has a high spot in the middle, dip on right side, and left towards the middle... I think at most it's a 1/4".

I would like to lay vinyl plank like smartcore in the kitchen and have it transition into the living room.

Is there any kind of leveling compound I can use to fill in the dips that will work right over the old hardwood? I have zipped it all down with screws so it is pretty solid now etc.

I just want to get it to the point where the planks will sit happily on top.

Old 05-18-16, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
You'd have to check with the flooring manufacturer to see what their deflection limits are. It sounds as if you have a raised joist in the middle or sunken joists on the sides. Difficult to tell. Do you have a cantilevered deck outside the kitchen?

Old 05-18-16, 04:28 PM
J
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Need to be looking under the floor to see what's causing the issues and address that.

Old 05-25-16, 05:05 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a deck only two steps off the ground on the back side, on the side (lengthwise) as the kitchen. Not sure if it is cantilever?

Haven't gone down under yet. The wavy-ness isn't that bad, it's just not perfect and annoys me. Was hoping to find a self leveler that could taper thin to the living room?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: