Safe to store reclaimed hardwood floor in crawlspace?

Old 05-28-16, 05:42 PM
Safe to store reclaimed hardwood floor in crawlspace?

Hello all,

I removed some 5/16" thick hardwood strip flooring from my mom's house a number of years ago. I've been saving it to install in my house but probably will not have the opportunity for another couple of years. I plan to install it upside down and sand/stain/poly the unfinished side.

I have a closed crawlspace with a cement rat slab. The walls have 1/2" foam insulation. It does get humid in my basement which is connected to my crawlspace so I have a dehumidifier running in the basement which is set to 50% humidity. Not sure the exact humidity of the crawlspace but would estimate if my basement is 50% then the crawl might be 60%.

Can I store these strips of wood in my crawlspace on the cement floor? Do I need to put a layer of 6 mm plastic under the wood? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-16, 06:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Can I store these strips of wood in my crawlspace on the cement floor? Do I need to put a layer of 6 mm plastic under the wood?
Store it on top of some other wood. When it's time to reinstall it, store it in the room where it will be reinstalled for a few days. That way it can get acclimated, to the room.

Old 05-29-16, 04:46 AM
Do not lay the wood directly on the concrete. I'd be hesitant to even store it in the basement. If you do make sure it is off the floor and stack it in layers with wood strips between the layers to allow for good air circulation. No way to store it inside the house? I store mine under beds and couches.

Old 05-29-16, 08:12 AM
It is already in my basement. I want to move it into the crawlspace because its taking up so much room in my basement. These are old school wood strips. some of them are like 12 feet long, its insane. No way thats fitting under a bed.