Laminate floor joint separation

Old 05-29-16, 08:05 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor joint separation

I installed laminate flooring in two adjoining rooms about two weeks ago. At the time of installation, every seam was 100% interlocked. Now I'm finding a couple of random pieces in the middle of the floor with 1 -3 feet of the joint now separated about 1/16". 'Really weird.

Is there a way to "re-connect" the areas without ripping up 2/3rds of all my hard work?

Old 05-29-16, 08:21 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Yep, put on a pair of rubber soled shoes and kick down and towards the offending separation on one of the boards. Once you get the hang of getting the seams closed, they will reappear, you might want to add a couple of drops of wood glue into the seam before kick sliding the pieces back together. Problem solved.

Old 05-29-16, 03:10 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
"Two adjoining rooms" is the first red flag.
Is this two different rooms separated by a door or opening?
Any laminate I've installed shows right in the directions to install a transition strip in the door way between the two rooms.
May not be what you have done, but is just one of the many reasons it happens.
Another is someone nailed the flooring to the sub floor some place, often it's when the 1/4 round was installed.
Another trick is then when you where installing the flooring to not just force the flooring down to the floor in one pass, you work it up and down getting closer each time to get it to work into the lock, once flat tap across the face of the floor with a white rubber mallet to get out the tendency for the flooring to bow up.

Old 05-31-16, 07:48 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joec, I understand what you're saying, but this ain't the case.

It's not a "transition" issue. The "splits" are in the middle on the room. And I tore up carpeting in the one room, so there was no shoe molding.

But I appreciate your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: