Understanding solid hardwood expansion in a nailed down application.

Old 05-31-16, 06:18 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Understanding solid hardwood expansion in a nailed down application.

Hi,

Would someone please explain to me, how does a 3/4" solid maple hardwood expand if its nailed down every few inches using 2" cleats to a 3/4" OSB subfloor ?

I did create enough room for expansion and allowed the wood to acclimate. At least 1/2" (as i raised the drywall via cutting it and hiding the raise by my removed and re-installed baseboards) just about everywhere, except for a small couple of places, where i was unable to do so. (example stairs)

Also at what force will it expand ? Say for example it hits some drywall, which will be much softer than the hardwood itself, would it not dig in, rather than buckle the floor ?

Anyway just trying to understand the ins and out of expansion.

Old 05-31-16, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
IF you have acclimated the wood to your environment as it is when living in it (not a new construction without air conditioning, etc. ), then most of the danger of expansion and contraction will be eliminated. How much it contracts and expands? Probably very little, but with an expensive installation and the ability to totally eliminate the possibility, why not do it as you seem to have done? From what I gather in you post you have done a prudent job, so rest easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: