Help with installing an old gym floor

Old 06-21-16, 07:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with installing an old gym floor

Hello all. I have a question on installing a used Wood Gym Floor that I am looking to purchase. It comes in 4'x8' pieces. The wood is glued to plywood. I believe it is called a floating floor.

I am also in the process of planning of building a gym in a Clearspan Fabric building. They are suppose to be 15-20 degrees cooler and warmer then outside. But now I will have to figure out the moisture that would be inside if any.

As of now I still haven't even cleared the land. My plan was to just put an asphalt slab down and then install some acrylic asphalt finish, like a tennis court has, but tonight I found a great deal on a used floor.

My question is without a basement or concrete slab, what would be the best subfloor to put down first? Is a concrete slab the best way to go? Or do I need to go concrete, or neither and just build a wood subfloor and put the plywood/finished wood on top?

I really have no idea how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-21-16, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro here and can't offer you much help but it sounds like the wood gym floor will be outside in the weather...... is that correct ?

Old 06-21-16, 08:18 PM
M
No it will not be outside. It will be covered. Look at this picture and it will show what I would like to do.

http://www.clearspan.com/wp-content/...015/09/ath.jpg

I may end of sticking with asphalt but wood would be nice.

And thanks for the welcome!

Old 06-21-16, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Your picture link says picture unavailable or removed.

Old 06-22-16, 06:28 PM
M
This one should be good:

Name:  z.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  23.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-22-16 at 10:53 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 06-22-16, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have installed flooring for 43 years but have never got into anything like that. If you want the wood, you will probably need a slab. Just make sure that you moisture test the slab before the wood is installed. The "minimum" drying time for a 4" slab is 128 days.

Old 06-23-16, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am assuming this is a fabric covered clear span building. If so, you are "outside", but just don't know it. A wooden floor, IMO, wouldn't stand a chance with the diverse changes in heat/cold/humidity. I agree with Sam, that a slab would be necessary, and although not inexpensive, a poured rubber floor would be more in line with the elements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: